GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys does the early 32 crank have a removeable crank collar as i know you have to change them where is it ?? is it in the oil pump or does it sleeve over the crank ? thanks guys

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
It's actually part of the crank itself, AFAIK you need to turn it off and press, Loctite and pin a new, longer one on. I have never had to do it, but it looks straightforward to me.

·
Registered
444 Posts
yes it has to go to machine shop but make sure first that you do have the short collar my two 32gtr had the long collar so you might be lucky

·
Registered
33 Posts
The late model R32 (Kouki) had a number of minor changes, including the larger oil pump drive on the crankshaft. Other obvious changes were a smooth rear diff backplate (finned on the earlier Zenki model) also the clutch release was changed to a pull release a la R33 GTR. If your car has either of these mods then it will have the revised crankshaft. The collar you mention is an add on to update an older model crank to the bigger oil pump drive. Jun do them as do Abbey motorsport and Rising sun Performance. How I fit them is:- Inspect crank first, then turn the original pump drive off so there is a 0.075mm (3 thou) interferance fit with the collar. Heat the collar and cool the crank in liquid nitrogen, then press the collar on. Drill and tap the flats to fit the supplied grub screws, clean up and re-check, job done, or you can just buy a new crank from Nissan, they are £900!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what are the measurments for the small collar and longer collar how will i know which one it is as mine is useing a push type 25 box just 2wd thanks for your help people

·
Registered
889 Posts
you will only know when you get the oil pump off its roughly 1/2 inch wide on the early crank, and about 1 inch on the later model,
you can get a coller for 55pounds ,

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have just measured the flats on a deceased R33 crank I have here and they are 18mm in length front to back. The Earlier crank is about 8mm. The contact area on the small pump drive is only about 3mm, you can see where the contact has been. Scary really when you think about the load on this small area!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
really only 3 mm thanks for the info didnt relise how small the early one,s were you would have thought they relised it was too small when they designed the engine

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
They changed in 94 a few months before the 33 was released
Ive never seen an R32 crank with a long oil pump drive.
This is what they look like , no grubsrew fitted yet

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ahh i can see the difference ha ha do the old 32 crank collars always sheer off ??? thanks for the pictures glenn !!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Check my thread, I had to have a collar fitted, also theres a pic of my old pump gear that shows just how little contact area there is on the early crank.

Alex

Ps you dont have to remove the oil pump to see if you have the early crank but you do have to remove the lower pulley, cambelt, crank sprocket and front main oil seal and you will be able to see the drive.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks every one for the help gonna have to take it off to the machine shop

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Make sure the N1 pump is genuine. However couple of things you should think about - how much power do you want to push out of this engine and what kind of crank so you have at present.

If you have a narrow drive early crank the contact patch would be very small and would not recommended high revs or banging on the limiter ie launch control or bee rev limiter etc. Also if you have the wide crank the same would apply as long as you take it easy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts