GTR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil pump is driven at 1:1 off the crankshaft, and the early R32s have the notorious problem where the drive part doesn't fully engage the oil pump, resulting in early wear and failure. So I bought myself a JUN drive collar, but then in a confusing exchange with my mechanic (I speak very bad Korean), he said I didn't need it and he didn't install the collar when he put the new N1 oil pump on. He said "it didn't fit" and "it wasn't necessary" - and I'm trying to divine whether or not he meant one of three things:

- there was already a JUN collar installed
- the crankshaft is a later version
- my mechanic is thick and couldn't figure out how to machine the part to fit

I couldn't see the engine without oil pump - is the drive portion collared as stock, or is it simply a bare extension of the crankshaft sticking out the front of the block? Are the R33 cranks simply longer, or is there some sort of stock collar that gets replaced by the JUN unit for early R32s? The engine is a 1993 R32 engine, so I'm not sure if it's before or after Nissan fixed the oil drive problem, or if the engine itself has been rebuilt before, with a different crankshaft. Argh. If I had a better idea of what the oil drive looks like without pump attached, I may be able to piece together the situation under the pump, and if it's as the mechanic says ("ok no problem, collar not needed") or if it's an issue that needs to be addressed, and quickly - the car is scheduled to be fully assembled by tomorrow!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Think i read something that the newer R32´s have a different crankshaft to the first models:nervous:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts