GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be getting different information on this, I'm having my engine built with and extended sump and trying to work out if I need a higher flow pump as I have a higher overall oil capacity now (8 to 9 ltr). I'm not planning to rev the car beyond about 7,500rpm but just need to know if I actually need a higher flow rate with the extra capacity.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
You may as well just get a JUN/Tomei pump since you have a bigger sump. Or you can just get a N1 pump and it will be fine.

What power goal you after?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an N1 just trying to work out if it's enough. Looking at around 550/580bhp at a guess power wise.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Oem sump stick to oem pump or n1 or Nismo in otherwords same flow.

Once you start increasing flow the oem sump could be depleted of oil that is the last thing you need but also you should consider a oil restrictor to limit oil flow to the head. 1.5mm is tried and tested. If you have a bigger than std capacity sump consider Jun, Tomei, HKS, Reimax oil pumps.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've a Tomei 1.5mm restrictor for the head.

What is the logic behind a bigger pump if I have a bigger sump? I'm not doubting it just trying to understand it.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I have an N1 just trying to work out if it's enough. Looking at around 550/580bhp at a guess power wise.
Btw I am using an n1 based pump although spline drive. How ever do check clearances and you should be ok for the power and revs you want to use.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I've a Tomei 1.5mm restrictor for the head.

What is the logic behind a bigger pump if I have a bigger sump? I'm not doubting it just trying to understand it.

Idea is to maintain flow and pressure at higher revs it has been known for smaller pumps to run out of puff at higher revs though I have not tested that theory on a dyno to destruction. The opposite is true ie bigger pump and smaller sump would cause starvation

I will be using the N1 pump with the steel gears will give me exactly what I need interms of reliability over the N1 sintered ones. Flow is the same as oe pump but pressure has been increased.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
It's still mind-boggling that, despite oilling issues having been known for years, there does not seem to be a decent solution for sensible money....

It is sad that aftermarket pumps cost a disproportionate amount of money compared to the size, amount of material and engineering that went into them. High flow/high capacity pumps for other engines dont even come close to the cost of a similar RB pump.

Like most on here I'm fortunate that I can afford a Tomei, Jun etc pump but its the aftermarket companies attitude towards pricing (i.e fleecing) that leaves a sour taste in the mouth. I mean, c'mon.....£1000+ for an oil pump is a first rate piss-take!! And just because you CAN afford it, it doesn't mean you should blindly cough up the cash and accept the status quo.

There has been a thread running recently on dry-sumping and I think this is the way forward (for me at least) for solving the problem once and for all. I truly believe a solution can be had for a price point in line with solutions for other engines. The sticking point seems to be not the pump or drive method but the sump area. I think that the path of bespoke sump is wrong and that modification of stock is better and more cost-effective.

OK, a bit of a tangential thread there but i think pertinent to the overall conversation about oilling..

TT

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree they are very expensive for what they are. I agree that ideally wouldn't pay for it but difficult decision when building up your own car.

I'm still not quite sure why a bigger capacity needs a higher flow pump, totally get the other way around, when the pump flows too much but if stock pump is okay at stock rpm not sure why oil capacity would make any difference.

·
Registered
887 Posts
i have ended up spending a good amount of money after spinning a big end.

went Tomei Pump with an extended sump, and spool head drain.

i hope my oil issues are now solved

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
It's still mind-boggling that, despite oilling issues having been known for years, there does not seem to be a decent solution for sensible money....

It is sad that aftermarket pumps cost a disproportionate amount of money compared to the size, amount of material and engineering that went into them. High flow/high capacity pumps for other engines dont even come close to the cost of a similar RB pump.

Like most on here I'm fortunate that I can afford a Tomei, Jun etc pump but its the aftermarket companies attitude towards pricing (i.e fleecing) that leaves a sour taste in the mouth. I mean, c'mon.....£1000+ for an oil pump is a first rate piss-take!! And just because you CAN afford it, it doesn't mean you should blindly cough up the cash and accept the status quo.

There has been a thread running recently on dry-sumping and I think this is the way forward (for me at least) for solving the problem once and for all. I truly believe a solution can be had for a price point in line with solutions for other engines. The sticking point seems to be not the pump or drive method but the sump area. I think that the path of bespoke sump is wrong and that modification of stock is better and more cost-effective.

OK, a bit of a tangential thread there but i think pertinent to the overall conversation about oilling..

TT
+2

And the dry sump development has come to a stop because they need to get measurements from somebody's car with an RB26 and nobody is willing to help out!

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I'm still not quite sure why a bigger capacity needs a higher flow pump, totally get the other way around, when the pump flows too much but if stock pump is okay at stock rpm not sure why oil capacity would make any difference.
A larger sump is to increase the oil capacity. A stock oil pump can be used with a large sump no problem.

The larger sump (with baffles) will also give extra protection against oil surge when hoofing it around bends or dragging it from a stand still. The extra protection from oil surge will really only come into play on track.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A larger sump is to increase the oil capacity. A stock oil pump can be used with a large sump no problem.
This was my question really, I just couldn't see any technical issue running a stock or N1 pump with increased oil capacity especially if only revving to around 7,500.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
You could get away with just fitting a Tomei baffle and go with a N1 pump, don't need to splash out on an extended sump etc!

Btw I have a 1500 mile old N1 pump for sale if you're still looking to buy one.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've got a new N1 pump ready to go in and want to go with the extended and baffled sump just to be on the safe side (chance I'll try the car on track as I'm missing trackdays). I just don't want to splash out on something I don't need. I think I've narrowed it down to a few options (with extended sump and 1.5mm restrictor)

N1 pump in standard spec
N1 pump with Reimax gears
N1 pump with splined gears
Tomei pump

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Im 99.9% sure there was an old thread on SAU which mentioned that some were using 1.0mm restrictors. Think I'll go down this route myself next time the head's off....

TT

1 - 20 of 30 Posts