GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...it took about 4 hours for me to figue out how to drop the sump but it can be done with basic tools and a lift makes like much easier also. It is a challenge the remove the 5 nuts on the right side. But to remove the bolts on the back rght of the pan I drilled a 9/16 hole in the boss to acess them.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Never say never eh ? :D
cheers cokey

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you just drop the sump low enough off to replace the pump or completely remove it?
Just dropped it. But I had to drill through the right rear boss of the pan to acess two bolts. Otherwise you'll have to pull the transmission back or out. I did not know this so I just threw a "Hail Mary" at it and drilled a hole.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I was wondering if you are just replacing the pump?

Are you fitting a drive collar too?

How long is it since the engine has had new shells?
Just replacing the pump. Cant afford a rebuild. That is the only reason I didnt want to remove the engine. The collar is fine. Fitting a new one would require for the crank to be removed. Again more work than I can do at this time. For some reason only the pump gear failed(at 90k). I caught it right away and shut the engine off so Im hoping the bearings are still ok. If they are and I can get another 50,000 miles out of the new pump, that'll give me atleast another 10 years of service no more than I drive the car. I have another engine coming from Japan but Im not sure when it'll get here. I'll go through that one and just do a remove and replace at that time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ive heard of this being done before ,I'm going to do mine like this when the weather a bit better & days longer ,i got a jun pump to go in ,do you have any clearer pics of the hole you drilled & exactly where it needs to be ,Thanks
I dont have any at the moment but I'll be at the shop Monday And I'll try to get a better picture. I drilled through the bottom of the "ear" or "boss" of the oil pan whaere it bolts to the bottom right of the tranny. Just use the little drain hole as a guide and drill it about 9/16" going straight up. Then you can use a 1/4" drive & 10mm "wiggler" with an extention.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.