GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a litre of semi for my wife's car and only after I opened it and saw the oil was red did I notice it was oil for motorbikes.

Now the big question is - what is the difference between a 10w40 semi for a car and a 10w40 semi for a bike and is it safe to mix with the car 10w40 semi that's already in there?

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I thought the only red oils where 2 Stroke, ATF and some Fork oils

I worked on cars and bikes AFAIK most of the oil is the same for both, why wouldnt it be ?

Mark.

P.S. If your not sure DONT mix them, better safe than sorry with engines

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Silkolene Pro S 10w-50 and Pro R 15w-50 are red!

The difference is that bike oils contain special addatives to prevent wet clutch slip.

These addatives will not harm cars but you cannot use car oils in bikes with wet clutches.

Check my website, Silkolene Pro 4 Plus 5w-40 is the same oil as Silkolene Pro S 5w-40, they can be interchanged.

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
My dad runs his bike on the standard Semi 10w40 that we use in the cars, never had any clutch problem. I cant recall for sure but im fairly certain we used to run allmost all the bikes at the motorbike garage I worked at on the same stuff.

Is the clutch slip addative a recent thing ? , I havnt had much to do with bikes for about 12 years.

Mark.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting snippets, thanks.

Castrol GPS is red too ;)

Like Mark I used to use regular car oil (Mobil 1) in my bike but that was in the mid 80s to early 90s. I don't recall any cluch slip problems either. Maybe things have changed over recent years.

Had a quick look at your site but there's a lot on there and I need to get to work - will have a browse later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts