GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks,i know this thread is probably age old but any info would be good as i have a small problem.on the bright side i've just bought my first skyline(r33 gtr vspec) on the darker side of things the importer said "i had a basic service done for you oil and filter has been changed" oh really i said "what oil did you use i said",the reply mobil 1 "oh no" i said i won't go into the rest of it as it's a bit long winded but the car has 0w40 in it and thats bad right? what i would like to know is can i get away with putting stp or something in it to thicken it up i suspect the answer is no but if that is the case i can't drive the car until the weekend as i can't get it up on any ramps till then.please reply in dire need of help! cheers.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
magnatec

hi folks, following on from my previous thread i have a mate who can get me some castrol gtx magnatec cheap and wondered if this would be sufficent enough for the skyline i've used it before in my sx and my dad uses it in his mitsi galant and had no problems at all its 10w40,any info appreciated.

·
Registered
404 Posts
More than you need top know about oil.....

I don’t know if you blokes in the UK can get Castrol Syntec but use it if you can.
I’ve always use Syntec 5w/55. Nismo use Castrol RS (Racing Syntec) 10w/60 in their racecars.
Can’t see any harm in using Mobil 1 0w/40 for a while just try not to let the oil temperature get to high.

I maybe teaching Granny to suck eggs but a useful info link to motor oils is:

http://www.micapeak.com/info/oiled.html

Paul.

PS 10w/40 oil would still be a bit risky for a turbo engine.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice guys,i have phoned abbey they said castrol RS 10w60 fully sinthetic was the best thing they have used but as my local stockists did'nt have the 10w60 (they only had 0w30) i have got some mobil one 15w50 which i think some people on this forum use so that will have to do.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Dino,

So is Catrol Syntec ester based but I don't know by what % Motul is 100% ester but cost over $10.00 a quart and Castrol Syntec is only $4.15 (at least States side anyway).

Paul.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Probably costs that much since it has to be imported. If you are in the States buy Red Line, if you are in Europe buy Motul(which is French). It pretty chep in Italy so I doubt it would be expensive in the rest of Europe. Definetly a good buy if you do lots of track days and run hot temps for long periods of time.

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts