GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just started driving my R34 VSPEC again after my ‘little’ prang at the Ring. I have not driven it for at least 3 months and as it was brand new also have not driven it in the warm weather.

My question is what should the Oil temp be when running around town? Right now it sits around 85-90C and I remember in April/Early May normal town running would not push it above 70-75. I just want to check that 85-90C is normal or perhaps my Oil (Standard extra on Middlehurst car) is not working 100% (maybe damaged in accident?). I am sure I am just being over cautious. Incidentally, in May when it was 15 Degrees I could cruise on the motorway at 70MPH and the oil temp would drop below 70C.

/Dan

·
Registered
547 Posts
Oil temp

Going slowly around town in 26-30°C ambient, my oil will hit about 81°C ... and I have an Abbey cooler.

The hottest it got on the dyno day was 84°C

So yours does sound a little hot!

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Respect!!!

Nice to see you take advantage of the odd empty car park Guy!!!;)
I did something similar before changing my tyres....great fun isin't it?!?!:D

Noticed someone filming on the bottom of the pics.....were you being shot for a video or something???

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oil Oil Toil and Trouble

Hmm,

In the interest of scientific knowledge (at least that’s what I told my girlfriend), I went out again for a few hours 1am – 4am (helps having a body clock on Beijing time) to test in colder conditions. This time even after some hard driving I never saw more than 92C. Cruising thru town would be somewhere between 75-79 but it seems more than acceptable.

One new item, having pulled up to a set of traffic lights tonight, which also marks the entrance to a rather nice stretch of dual carriageway, I was minding my own business when a Porsche GT3 pulls along side. I do not usually race too much from the lights as I friend went thru a clutch and gear box in his Subaru I did not want to suffer the same fate, but I decided this time to have ago. I revved to 4,000 and when the lights went green I got my race start and blew him into the bushes. I love the way the rear wheels spin and slide yet the front just picks up and pulls the car until the rear catches up. Pulling off the carriageway a mile or down the road I spotted a little bit of smoke coming from the front left of the car, it was just a whisper of smoke but enough to panic me and I pulled over and popped the bonnet expecting to see some horrible mess. Nothing at all but a slight smell, I am assuming it was the clutch, but from the left side? Does that make sense?

/Dan (more GT-R mature since last time)

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
redback911

having tried a few standing starts myself I can assure you that clutch smoke is not as evident as you described. It's usually a blue haze coming from under the car....usually if you are in the car you tend to smell it rather than see it. You might want to make sure it wasn't anything else!

·
Banned
349 Posts
Guy,

How much did it cost to have such a high volume smoke machine delivered to the track!!!!

The wonders of modern movie makers!

·
Registered
32 Posts
oil temps and oil types

Maybe you guys should do a little chart of whos getting what temperatures on what oils. As different oils are more / less efficient at drawing heat away from the hot bits, would be also interesting to get an idea of how long since the last oil change to factor into the equation.

Hardly scientific but it might show some trends for ya.

I've personally found that going to a high performance oil like the Motul 300v series, reduced pinging slightly and as the VG30DETT has got oil squirters under the piston crown my guess is the oil temperature is slightly lower. And I'd hazard a guess that even different visocisties within the different oil types give differeing results. I tried the 300V 15w50 LeMans Racing and it took foooorrever to warm up in my puppy, as opposed to the 5w40 Power Racing which takes literally minutes to warm up.

Rowan
600plus.com

·
Registered
133 Posts
oil temp

i'm using hks racing 15-50 (oil change done 3 weeks ago)
in hk, it's about 33 degrees cel. and my oil temp stays at 92-95. (w/ hks oil cooler)

i've used motul 300v before and i think it's a better oil than the hks.....

michael.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Burnout

Guy

My son has got the full vid of your dough'nut'ing and at the mo I am trying to transfer it to avi/mpeg. It is 1m29sec long and superb. I have the hardware and software but do not have a clue how to transfer it but as soon as I do I will post it/burn it etc., with the help of Warren. Unless, anyone can tell me how to do it easily. Joss are you listening :D .

Glen.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Vids

Hi Glen,

If you email me [email protected] any digital format (AVI, etc), I can post it up on the www.gtr.co.uk website.

Out of interest, has anyone been unable to view the mpeg movie of the blue R34 doing a ¼ mile I put at the top of the Bovingdon day? I'd like to check that that format is OK for people.

It's posible that some browsers will say they can't find the file when you left click on the link, but right clicking on the link and selecting "Save target As..." will download it to your hard drive for later viewing :) (presuming you are using Windows & Internet Explorer)

Cheers

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Videos

Joss....re that video. I managed to see it but there was some corruption in the audio track and was unable to hear anything! I use Explorer 5 and Mac OS9.1

t6kyo...can't wait to see that video your son filmed!!! The pictures looked great so the video must be totally crazy!! :)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Vid

Hi DCD

Also have a run of Henry's 33, RK 32 and a couple of others including mine so can't wait to get 'em up here.

Glen.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Video page

Hi Scott,

I'll do it once I have some good videos ;)

I was sent a few from Billing, but that's it, and I didn't want to replicate others on the net :)

So bring them DV cameras to the Kemble track day :)

Cheers

1 - 20 of 27 Posts