GTR Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Cameras-Kemble

So Joss. If I can't sort it out my end are you saying bring the camera with me and you'll download it to your lap-top their and then ??

Glen.

·
Registered
534 Posts
AP22 Vs video

Sorry Glen, I was egging Guy on to play with the AP22 after school hours :)

Hmm, depends on your camera, but probably the easiest would be to lend me the tape and then I can muck about with it in the office, where we have pretty good hardware for doing video.

Or, if you've already captured the video into AVI (or whatever) on your home PC, you could burn it onto a CD ..

Cheers

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
GTR videos

Hi Joss...

If you are interested in decent videos I have quite a few I took myself at various track days over here. I shot them all with my digital camera and they all vary from 15 sec to 1 minute.
If you want I can send them off tomorrow to you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: oil temps and oil types

funwithturboz said:
performance oil like the Motul 300v series, reduced pinging slightly and as the VG30DETT has got oil squirters under the piston crown my guess is the oil temperature is slightly lower.
I don't really know what you meant by the VG30 has squirters under the crown and the temp is lower...

The RB26 has oil squirters also. The stock pistons have a cavity in them that allows oil from the squirters to travel though the piston and cool the crown..

Different oils could make a difference in temp...

Thing is that high reving - lots of bearing surfaces - 7 main caps in the RB -plus the oil squirters plus oil cooled turbos - transfer a lot of heat to the oil...

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Oil temp.

Prior to fitting an HKS oil cooler to my 33, I saw oil temperature approaching 150 C after 5 laps at Goodwood on a warm day. After fitting, it still got up to 130+ C after 6 or 7 hard laps (3.6 miles) of Bedford on a hot day. On the road, it occasionally reaches 90 - 100C after a long hardish drive but stays at around 80 in town. I find it difficult to believe that a 34 driven hard for any length of time, particularly on track, will maintain a sub 100 C oil temp, for the reasons Sean has outlined above.

We'll see next weekend. :)

Peter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hmmm

Motorex...

Yes sounds like very much the same engine design.

This is what I meant, when running ELF Synthese 5w40 (sold to me as the abolsute best road oil there is bar none..blah..blah..blah) I got a small amount of pinking. Now when I changed to Motul 300v Chrono Racing (farken expensive) the pinking decreased markedly.

My assumption from this is that 300v oil is more efficient at drawing heat away from the hot bits. Specifically the piston crown. As for the pinking to reduce then something has to be colder. Best Guess is its the crown as thats where the oil I think would make the most difference.

Now if it's more efficient at heat transfer then when it's on it's way through the oil cooler it would be get "colder" than other oils perhaps and run at a cooler operating temperature.

Maybe.

At best conjecture, at worst utter bullshit, but it the above results told that theres a reason why that specific range of oil looks & smells super odd and is charged at the price of liquid gold ! Hence I'm a Motul convert now :)

Rowan

21 - 27 of 27 Posts