GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as above just noticed a oily cream in the rad couple of days ago checked for water leaks inside and out of car everythings fine the oil is fine the oil level is fine, had to top up water this morn with a cup full of water but theres no visible leaks at all and the water and oil temps are bang on and theres no smoke at idle or under boost and the oil pressure sits just under 3 at idle when warm...

The car had two new turbos done in 2006 cos of lack of boost,could this have caused the milky water if the oil and water mixed in the turbo? the epansion bottle is full of this crap which leads me to believe they never flushed that out
Any body had or come across this before and any suggestions or am i looking at a rebuild or a replacement engine...

Daz:thumbsup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
That does sound as if the head gasket has failed, the same thing happened on mine a month or so back. I would advise a compression test of the cylinders, which will indicate if the gasket has gone or not.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will it do major damage to engine as i dont know how long its been like this and wot costs am i looking at?

·
Registered
197 Posts
ive had the same thing,noticed when rebuilding engine three years ago small cracks on the water galleries,was told by rk it wouldnt be a major problem.rebuilt engine has been running 520bhp for the last three years(no probs other than the oil mixing in with the water) oil gets in the water because the oil pressure is greater than the water pressure.if its head gasket then defo needs to be sorted

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
wot`s up trouble?

picked up a totally standard r33 gtr on tues this week and did all the usual checks you do and noticed that whoever had the car from import had a burst rad hose in the reciepts and also new turbos and on the reciept it said that the cars cooling system had been flushed to remove oil from rad then tested and everything was ok, then on weds i checked the rad and noticed it was a little low so topped it up and when the wife came home from work i checked the rad and low and behold brown sludgy water...

The problem is that its not lost any water and its not losing oil theres no visible leaks no smoke from exhaust on idle or boost

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ive had the same thing,noticed when rebuilding engine three years ago small cracks on the water galleries,was told by rk it wouldnt be a major problem.rebuilt engine has been running 520bhp for the last three years(no probs other than the oil mixing in with the water) oil gets in the water because the oil pressure is greater than the water pressure.if its head gasket then defo needs to be sorted
so youre saying that you had head gasket failure? Does anyone have a rough idea as to the cost of fixing the head gasket and flushing system out?

·
Registered
197 Posts
easiest thing to check as has been mentioned is to do a compression check on all cylinders,which will show up head gasket.mine the same no oil leaks,no smoke out the exhaust,runs absolutely fine.
when i stripped my engine down head gasket was fine(metal uprated one)my problem was rings and low compression,did have the oil in water then as well but as has been said i discovered the cracks in the block once engine was stripped

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
More important question - is the water mixing with the oil ?
It is possible (if you are lucky ) that it is not.

Take off the oil filler cap and check if there is any sign of the same milky gunge there . If there is water has got in the oil then as said before thats probably either a head gasket failure or crached head between the waterways.

If the oil is still clean with NO sign of water then you are lucky and the standard oil cooler may have an internal crack.
As oil pressure is above water pressure oil can get in the water but not the other way around.

This happened to me after an engine rebuild and after changing the oil cooler body the problem was solved.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Theres no water in the oil its all clear altho it is a little black (ill change this over winter) how much of a pig of a job is it to change the oil cooler? and where is it? also would it read that the oil pressure is lower if its losing oil like this?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does any one know what are acceptable compression figures for all cylinders on a healthy engine say with 45k?

·
Registered
89 Posts
When I did the compression test on mine it read Cyl 1 - 11; Cyl 2 - 4.5; Cyl 3 - 11; Cyl 4 - 11.5; Cyl 5 - 11 and Cylinder 6 - 11. So it was pretty clear that there was a problem with number 2, I changed the head gasket for a 1.2mm one and as a result the compression over all the cylinders dropped but they were all a steady 9.5

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
As said before if you have not got water in the oil then its a good chance that it could be the standard oil cooler split internaly. The exact same thing happened to me after TR Racing rebuilt my engine.

It only needs the smallest crack which can open up as everything heats up allowing oil into the water jacket of the oil cooler .
This then goes round the water system untill it reaches the first high point under rad cap .
By then even the smallest amount of oil has emulsifies with the water. It "floats" as its the natural place for it to end up and looks much worse than it is - if you get rid of all the gunge with a rag the water will probbaly be pretty clear just a few inches under the water level..
Although the head is higher the water stays in the rad because the rad pipe carrying water to the engine is lower than the top of the water level in the rad and oil floats.

The oil cooler is at the rear of the engine above the starter motor (I think) and can deinnately be repaced in situ (as long as you have the normal double jointed small wrists require for working on an RB26)

If this is the problem you should renew all the heater pipes because oil can rot them from inside and you have no idea how long this has been a problem. This is no extra work because you have to remove them anyway.

You will need a chair to sit oin when you get the price for these small pipes. ( but its still a lot cheaper than an engine rebuild )

·
Registered
794 Posts
my rad water is dark brown but its not oily or creamy...

if it creamy then i tink its oil and water mixing,usually headgasket or cracked block or sumtimes sumthing not serious like rsvfour said- only if ur lucky tho

1 - 20 of 76 Posts