GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so at the moment I have complete stock brakes including, discs,pads,calipers and hoses.

My discs are warped and useless and i'm ready to start replacing it all.

My car is mainly a weekend toy that I have set up for fast road use and am looking to do some track days in the future. The car has between 400-450BHP. In the future I will prob look to add at most another 50-100BHP to the cars power but no real plans in that department at present as Im looking to sort everything else out first and then power last.

My question is do I do a big conversion which I don't think I really need or replace discs,pads,fluids,lines and keep the stock Brembo calipers as I have heard that there good for up to 600BHP?

I will have a budget of around £1000 so hoping you guys can give me some good advice. The only real preference I have I would would like some nice looking discs to fill up the rim space for looks ;)

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Let the fun begin....

:popcorn::popcorn:

Just so I'm being useful...for the money and ease I would suggest a K-sport kit if you want brand-new. There ARE better out there but for the money (and I'm assuming you want front AND rear) and with the right pads I think that will suit your needs. Others will bang on about AP, Brembo etc but these CAN be BIG money for a complete kit and probably overkill for your needs.
Obviously there are loads of used bits out there which changes the conversation somewhat if you are prepared to go down that road!!

TT

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
What model-R33?

I would put some decent pads and disks on there, renew the fluid and see how you get on. If your braking exceeds the limits of these then save for a big brake kit. Before fitting the Stop Techs, i found the standard Brembo's, DBA discs and 2500 pads were fine for trackdays.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
947 Posts
What model-R33?

I would put some decent pads and disks on there, renew the fluid and see how you get on. If your braking exceeds the limits of these then save for a big brake kit. Before fitting the Stop Techs, i found the standard Brembo's, DBA discs and 2500 pads were fine for trackdays.

Just my thoughts.

This make sense to me :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Let the fun begin....

:popcorn::popcorn:

Just so I'm being useful...for the money and ease I would suggest a K-sport kit if you want brand-new. There ARE better out there but for the money (and I'm assuming you want front AND rear) and with the right pads I think that will suit your needs. Others will bang on about AP, Brembo etc but these CAN be BIG money for a complete kit and probably overkill for your needs.
Obviously there are loads of used bits out there which changes the conversation somewhat if you are prepared to go down that road!!

TT
No no no!! Do you not know that Ksport and D2 brakes are not worthy of being on a car such as a Nissan Skyline? The Iconic Japanese brand deserves better than some cheap brakes from China.

Look how many people have said Rotas do not belong on a Skyline! :runaway: :chuckle: :popcorn:

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
What model-R33?

Just my thoughts.
I found R33/34 Brembos with a good fluid such as SRF or AP600 very good with Yellowstuff. I planned long and hard as to which route to take, I couldn't justify £4.5k on Alcons or AP or even Brembo brake package for the GTRs. I didn't not want to go the KSport route having tested these Roger who is a member we killed a set of discs in one day on track (we had cooling also)and the caliper seals got shot too almost melted.

·
Registered
947 Posts
My tuner told me (as i'm upgrading my brakes also this year) one good set off disks and pads braided lines and good oil would do me,
he did mention endless but then again mine is just a street car.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
All depends on what you want really. If it is for fast road use then you can get away with good pads, discs and fluid. If you want to do track days and want you car to be able to stop corner after corner then you need something up to the job. There are many options, which I would consider good, Stoptech is good value for money and they work well so too the R35 Brembo setup which is the route I took and is faultless and impressed me with its performance. Alcon and AP expensive but proven out on track if you can afford all well and good. All depends on your budget.

·
Registered
947 Posts
All depends on what you want really. If it is for fast road use then you can get away with good pads, discs and fluid. If you want to do track days and want you car to be able to stop corner after corner then you need something up to the job. There are many options, which I would consider good, Stoptech is good value for money and they work well so too the R35 Brembo setup which is the route I took and is faultless and impressed me with its performance. Alcon and AP expensive but proven out on track if you can afford all well and good. All depends on your budget.
Some good points there
i have being told just what you rite at above (different words same meaning) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I found R33/34 Brembos with a good fluid such as SRF or AP600 very good with Yellowstuff. I planned long and hard as to which route to take, I couldn't justify £4.5k on Alcons or AP or even Brembo brake package for the GTRs. I didn't not want to go the KSport route having tested these Roger who is a member we killed a set of discs in one day on track (we had cooling also)and the caliper seals got shot too almost melted.
Couldn't agree more, my standard brembo's were very good. I got a deal on the Stoptechs and so glad I made the upgrade. No fade at all and phenomenal stopping power- I love them, (in case you couldn't tell)!

·
Registered
161 Posts
The pads and fluid are more important than the discs, so spend your money wisely there.

Performance Friction do some very good compounds, the front pad shape you need is 0639.08.17.44 for the endurance 08 compound.

Endless EP290-MX72 is also very good.

AP Racing do some good but inexpensive race brake fluids (ATE Blue is also fine), for a dedicated track car look at the more expensive Ferodo Super Formula, Performance Friction RH665, Motul RBF and Castrol SRF fluids.

A set of braided brake hoses and new discs allround (grooved if you don't mind some rotor noise, stay away from drilled).

You will probably have some spare money to buy a length of wire reinforced temperature resistant ducting, to make up some cooling ducts for when you are on a trackday.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
There isn't much out there which is why I got frustrated.. I did buy a set of EBC blanks for £320 front and rear with yellowstuff pads and motul fluid but sold them when I decided to go for R35 brake setup.

·
Registered
161 Posts
DS Performance from Ferodo are also a good compound for road use and occasional track days.

Stoptech and DBA should also have discs available.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts