GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished putting in the new gearbox and propshaft last night :clap:

However, as I drove it out of the workshop there is a clunk as you engage the clutch - sounds like its coming from the back of the car. Im pretty certain its nothing to do with mart's gearbox or jay's prop, or the clutch itself, so maybe the rear diff is broken? :bawling:

I left it at the garage as a precaution, Steve will have a look again today. Im pretty gutted as I was hoping to drive it home but never mind :(

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Rear diff could be missing a tooth or more - or more likely just killed the mounting bushes/bolts on the diff or subframe.

By the looks of the damage it seized the whole transmission until the prop shaft sheared off. That's a lot of shock loading to be dealing with.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
TXB/diff

the calibra TXB makes a sound just as you describe when it dies but im sue the nissan version is much stronger? and less likely to fail like that

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's a TXB? :eek:

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, its definitely not the transfer box - that's new as is the gearbox - all came as one unit out of Martin's car, which I drove prior to purchasing :)

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
The only transfer box related thing I can think of is that I think it was gear oil came out of my transfer box though which is what I put in my new one which again is fine. maybe its this as you put ATF fluid in your yours - mind you based on what has been said on here, it sounds like ATF is fine

Would it be the rear diff? As someone said, your gearbox was torn in half :smokin: so that must have been some force on the rest of the attached parts.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does it if you load the car up on the handbrake - ie if you sit with the handbrake on and bring the clutch up to biting point quite quickly you get a clunk from the back.

We havent bled the 4WD system yet and Ive turned the system off (fuse out), so there's actually no way it could try and put power to the front at the moment anyway :)

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Driveshaft?

rear diff?

prop?

what else could it be? might be worth bleeding the 4wd system and running it normally. Whilst it may not be running in 4wd it may still have a connection to the front? might be worth doing just to eliminate it?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bit of further investigation last night, we think its broken the diff too :bawling:

Moving one of the rear wheels round (with the car in the air), you can move the wheel round about half an inch, then the diff goes 'donk' then the other wheel + the prop start to move. Is this excessive?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bugger :bawling:

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope - it was the replacement propshaft that broke! The rear CV-joint-type-thing has broke :(

So I need another propshaft please anyone :bawling:

(play in the diff sounds like it may be normal)

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Good luck with the test drive Pikey.........Hope my spare bit puts the smile back on your face!

Ian

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So do I :clap:

I await a phone call from my brother, will let you know how he gets on :)

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He left the car on the ramp last night so he could have a look and see what's what this morning :)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Did it turn out to be where the wheel bearing joins the prop shaft.... this went on my car on Sunday and make a very similar loud clunk.... I didnt know what had happened and carried on driving, I then heard parts falling off my car lol and looking in the rear view mirror to see bits of metal scattering themselves all over the carriageway. Stopped at a garage and pulled on the driveshaft, the wheel bearing just fell out in my hands in a million pieces. Getting done today and tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Found something else broken, lol :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

The indicator on the G-sensor (underneath the centre console) has turned red, meaning its failed. Presumably as a result of the massive shock when the gearbox self-destructed. They're prone to impact apparently - hit them hard and they just break :(

Also getting fault codes 12 and 13 (broken G-sensor) from the attessa ecu.

Stuck in 2WD mode for now then. Bugger :bawling:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts