GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its well known our old JDM R35 has done 17k very hard miles, it saw alot of track action inc journo's driving it like it wasn't there own car :bawling:

For those worried about long term and warranty, here is feedback from other users, from a number of tuned 35's in US and Asia, some seeing 10,000 + miles running remapped and exhaust mods, some also with 700hp

One year reliability/ durability review... - NAGTROC - The Nissan GT-R Owners Club

That said i will say its been proven in Germany autobhans than the 35 does not like 280km for extended periods = oil supply issue causing bearing failure. This will be addressed by the aftermarket in time :thumbsup:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Arr

i realllly hope that nissan is going to adress that and for everybody not only germans...

Or what ?

going to germany = warranty voided ?
260+ you're screwd ?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thistle, myself, Cosworth and others believe its a seal problem maybe due to break down of Mobil 1 0W40 @ 280km for period of time on the autobahn. The oil goes too thin and stays too thin after it has broken down, and then reduces oil pressure and finds it way around seals. Causing bearing damage.

·
Registered
300 Posts
if i follow this correctly, i would say : "get a better engine oil" ?

If this is correct, nissan really droped the ball on fluids

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ben,
Thanks for posting that link,it gives me a lot of confidence in my recent buy.Just shows 'you can have your cake and eat it '!! :clap:
I am interested in the comments on prolonged use on the Autobahn,I have a few mates who take themselves off to the ring once every 6 weeks or so and have a 'good time' driving around the area as well as doing a few laps. I was thinking of joining them but having read that,think it might not be a good idea.
Could you give me some advice on if it is best to avoid this type of driving until some sort of modification comes along that cures the problem ?
Thanks
Mick

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if i follow this correctly, i would say : "get a better engine oil" ?

If this is correct, nissan really droped the ball on fluids

If Mobil1 offered you a massive sum of money to only recommend their brand oil what would you do ?

I know what i did when Castrol offer/ed me a small amount of £££ to recommend their oil :p

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ben,
Thanks for posting that link,it gives me a lot of confidence in my recent buy.Just shows 'you can have your cake and eat it '!! :clap:
I am interested in the comments on prolonged use on the Autobahn,I have a few mates who take themselves off to the ring once every 6 weeks or so and have a 'good time' driving around the area as well as doing a few laps. I was thinking of joining them but having read that,think it might not be a good idea.
Could you give me some advice on if it is best to avoid this type of driving until some sort of modification comes along that cures the problem ?
Thanks
Mick

Could be a couple of reasons. I havn't seen these cars myself, but the fact Nissan have honoured every single engine so far suggests OEM fault

Prevention is better than cure, a better oil will help. Cosworth are making special bearings. Allow the car to cool after a period of hard driving / high speed. We are also testing an extended baffelled oil pan. Also been mentioned too much sealent was the issue.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I wonder if "oilman" would provide an opinion on the nature of Mobil 1 vs Castrol vs Silkolene vs Motul or others in this situation considering the shear stability and thermal breakdown properties of each in the R35 application? Anyone have a contact for him?

I suspect the temperatures of some of the surfaces inside an autobahn GTR engine would frighten us even if the measured temperature wherever it is taken from are not so bad.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oil man Guy is the main man :clap:

Changed my EDM 35 oil after 300 miles. it was black as the ace of spades with traces of metal, fuel and debris.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Good call Mr Banks, was just going to say we need some recommendations for everyone on which oil to use if the Mobil 1 is not up to the job, Ben what oil are you using?

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
On Opie oils recommendation I went for Motul 15w50.
Pressure is very healthy at all temps.

Possibly overkill for cold road use only.

·
Registered
938 Posts
That said i will say its been proven in Germany autobhans than the 35 does not like 280km for extended periods = oil supply issue causing bearing failure. This will be addressed by the aftermarket in time :thumbsup:
If that is correct then surely it should be nissan rectifying the problem through devising a solution and recalling the cars rather than owners having to pay for aftermarket solutions?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts