GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've seen some stunning 3 piece forged wheels but the company is in China and they appear to have their own factory as I was told they could make me pretty much what I wanted? My question is, has anyone ordered wheels this way, what was your experience, issues, etc, etc?

Price wise they seem very competitive.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
My main concern would be the quality of the materials, you are probably aware that a lot of low strength metals come out of Chinese factories. Personally I would be very reluctant to risk my life on cheap wheels.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Barry. I thought something similar although I'm pretty sure that some of the so called big names in wheels may have them manufactured in China too? Where are BC Forged or Advan actually manufactured, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
every factory in China will tell you premium this and that when in reality, your getting what you paid for them.

there is no such thing as forged wheels from China IMHO. you can get flow forged or variant of that. or cast.

I'd still recommend anything else. but its your choice.

not big on BC forged either.

·
Super Moderator
31,350 Posts
Cheers Barry. I thought something similar although I'm pretty sure that some of the so called big names in wheels may have them manufactured in China too? Where are BC Forged or Advan actually manufactured, any ideas?
Don't forget a lot of foreign companies have factories in China...producing to a foreign set of safety standard and requirements.

If it is a Chinese company manufacturing and exporting then quality lays well below the aesthetic and they could be more trouble than they are worth.

Just look at those exploding Hoverboards. Look the part until your house burns down.

Mook

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
A lot of the big names are made in the US, I'd be very wary of buying from a Chinese company as their safety regs won't be the same as ours.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,009 Posts
Chinese factories will manufacturer to whatever standard they are asked to manufacturer to.

To give you an example; I remember some TV programme with Gok Wan and he went to a Chinese knicker factory. On one knicker line they were producing for someone like Armani, Gucci or whoever and they were making a high quality product. On the next line they were making some shoddy skimpies that were guaranteed to fall to bits the first time you put them in your washing machine. Gok asked why the two levels of quality in the same factory and the answer he got was that they made to the level of quality they were asked for, given the amount of money the customer was prepared to pay.

So Chinese may not always be crap, but there's a reason why things are cheap.

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
no no no, i wouldnt trust them if not from a reputable forged wheel supplier!

when you're going mach 3 down the road, would you feel safe?? I WOULDNT!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
When it comes to wheels, I don't think that GTR tax applies. Wheels are a "get what you pay for" environment IMO and, along with brakes and tyres, are really not an area you want to take a chance with.

If you were after cheap steel from China, that may be a different matter given the current situation globally ...

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
did anyone see that program the other night... about "designer brands vs budget" ?

they put a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt costing £180, against Asda`s own brand (George) that cost £9 and guess which polo shirt everyone (joe public that is) picked as the better quality garment?
not only that, in lab tests, the Asda shirt faired better in wash tests, colour running, quality etc - wtf !
yep the Asda one won by a mile...!

and guess where they were both made ???

the conclusion was - you are paying £170 pounds for a ****in badge on an inferior shirt ! lol.... unbelievable.

anyway, point is:-
its a bloody minefield buying from China.... and you defo do not always get what you pay for... so be careful

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Chinese factories will manufacturer to whatever standard they are asked to manufacturer to.

To give you an example; I remember some TV programme with Gok Wan and he went to a Chinese knicker factory. On one knicker line they were producing for someone like Armani, Gucci or whoever and they were making a high quality product. On the next line they were making some shoddy skimpies that were guaranteed to fall to bits the first time you put them in your washing machine. Gok asked why the two levels of quality in the same factory and the answer he got was that they made to the level of quality they were asked for, given the amount of money the customer was prepared to pay.

So Chinese may not always be crap, but there's a reason why things are cheap.
^^^^^This is it exactly. Where big, well known companies use their own quality control to dictate what is expected and acceptable, you cannot fault Chinese manufactured goods. Leave them to their own devices though and it's a different story. As for being able to make wheels suitable for a 200mph car, I think not.

·
Registered
24,959 Posts
Hi All,

I've seen some stunning 3 piece forged wheels but the company is in China and they appear to have their own factory as I was told they could make me pretty much what I wanted? My question is, has anyone ordered wheels this way, what was your experience, issues, etc, etc?

Price wise they seem very competitive.
im sure it will be fine.

buy them and do a track day.

:runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway:

·
Registered
24,959 Posts
it amazes me, that people want to buy knock off Takata seat belts, wheels, "Bride" seats, all essentially for the logo on a £50k+ car

these are safety items,

bit like saying, put some " BREAMBO" calipers on the 35 and do a European road trip , blasting out at 150mph

you really need to consider the safety on these items.

yes China make alot of stuff, but does not mean its good quality

Rays are made in JP to JP standard,

there is a reason why they supply Nismo/Nissan and other companies.

still if you want to risk your life for the sake of a few pennies, thats up to you.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
As I think somebody said above it's a minefield. I'm sure there probably are some companies that could make a forged wheel as good as Rays but chances of picking that company from the uk in the internet are slim.

Not so much an issue if you're buying a carbon side skirt or spoiler add-on or something but I know I wouldn't want to risk it with something like wheels or brakes.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
It simply does not follow that all Chinese products are rubbish.

The problem isnt that they can't make quality it's more that they often can't be bothered to

Some of the best hi fi is Chinese . I have a top end system run by a pair of Chinese valve amps and they are amazing.

But...........

I don't think I would trust any set of wheels or brakes that had not passed the accepted standard approvals -
My point being that this applies to everyone - Chinese ,European or Japanese.

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
The Chinese make and assemble the iPhone and iPad. They can do incredible work.

I wouldn't risk Chinese own design and manufactured wheels personally.

If commissioned by a Japanese or American company I'd have no issues.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
it amazes me, that people want to buy knock off Takata seat belts, wheels, "Bride" seats, all essentially for the logo on a £50k+ car

these are safety items,

bit like saying, put some " BREAMBO" calipers on the 35 and do a European road trip , blasting out at 150mph

you really need to consider the safety on these items.

yes China make alot of stuff, but does not mean its good quality

Rays are made in JP to JP standard,

there is a reason why they supply Nismo/Nissan and other companies.

still if you want to risk your life for the sake of a few pennies, thats up to you.
The trend over the past 6-8 years has changed towards cheap and cheerful eBay and Ali express items. I remember when autobahn 88 started selling intercoolers way back in 2006 and slowly you began to see cheap knock offs of branded and quality Japanese parts. Then you get traders popping up selling nothing but cheap items from China and the game as far as quality and branded parts takes a beating. No wonder there are so many R32/33s out there with some shocking quality parts. Seen a few not so long ago with but of body work and carbon bonnets that look just horrible to odd looking grills you name it. These cars would be bests avoided but it attracts the kind of people who don't mind a poor quality car.

Now we're seeing lots of Chinese made carbon parts that seem to dominate the R35 markets where as you don't see much of the genuine Japanese kits being fitted? I might be wrong.

I agree with some of the other comments China can make good products but there needs to be quality control in place as well as parts conforming to safety standards. I was talking to someone the other day and it's no coincidence that Nitto took more or less all of Jun's catalogue of engine parts to China and askedbto replicate them. Comes as no surprise because their look pump looks identical to Jun and Greddy pumps as well as most other parts. Their products do appear well made though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts