GTR Forum banner

Opinions on turbos

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  paultonymc 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi lads have a r32 gtr with link ecu, full exhaust and pod filters and will only be used for road use and i wont be forging it. Now i want to get around 500 whp, i have been chatting two tuners and one says to use twin garret 2860-5 and the other tuner said to go single with garret gt3076r. Now there doesn't seem to be a whole lot in difference in price. I can't decide on which set up to go for now. Has anybody had experience with both setups? thanks

#2 ·
Prices will change alot once you go single..you'll need to get a good manifold, oil/water lines. New IC piping, downpipe and few other bits. Whereas the -5 just bolt on. I went single setup last year and don't regret it at all. I'm running a 6boost manifold with a 6266. It's only running 1.4 bar on a non forged engine at 630hp at the fly and it's really responsive too. Id say a gt30 is too small and would need to run high boost to. And people don't advise running alot more than 1.4 on an unopened engine

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#9 ·
This is very true. Also worth noting that there is much variation in the other kit. How good a manifold will you go for. How solid will it be. Good manifolds which won't be cracking seem pretty pricey and along with the other accessories the total cost will soon mount up.

Would the cost differential be better spent on other things - wheels/tyres/brakes/bushes/etc.

Not trying to put you off but its worth considering the whole picture

#8 ·
Dont even think of goin gt3076 turbo, it is old as your skyline. Market is full of modern, high-performing turbos, and buying Garret GT is really waste of money.
Go for garret GTX or BorgWarner EFR
Single turbo will be costy for you, because you will need to modify more, but it will end up in much cleaner look and easy maintaince. Also the spool of correct chosen single turbo producing 500hp will be earlier than twin doing the same.

Reactions: paultonymc
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.