GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im at a cross-roads with my car at the moment: its time for me to move back to Australia and Im struggling with selling the car here vs. taking the car home with me. Ive been chatting with one of the members here who has taken his car back and he has said it was definitely the right decision. He has almost swayed me but I think I need to think a little more practically in terms of over all costs and so on.

Pros of taking it back: Ill still have my GTR! :D
Cons of taking it back: significant effort, headaches and costs to do so. Will likely break even at best if I were to sell it on.

Pros of selling: money in the bank, could use it to for a house deposit in Sydney where house prices are extortionate.
Cons of selling: Ill no longer have my GTR.

Ive had it for about 2 years now and Ive put less than 3000 miles on the clock (mostly driving very short distances as I live in zone 1 in London) so I dont feel like Ive gotten the most out of it yet. On the other hand, its not like London has any decent driving roads anyway.

What to do?!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very tempted to do so but Im not skilled enough. I dont want to potter around as well and be a nuisance to other drivers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhh Adamantium, the voice of reason. And yep, the housing market back home is ridiculous. Ok, so thats one vote for 'sell'. Probably should have set up a poll.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Very tempted to do so but Im not skilled enough. I dont want to potter around as well and be a nuisance to other drivers.
You can get instruction.
We all have to start somewhere.

To be fair even pottering around in the GT-R will not be a problem.
90% of the other cars on the track day won't be able to keep up! :chuckle:

·
Registered
26,289 Posts
I dont know the prices of the cars there, but Gio took his 35 to Oz when he departed japan, i think its worth taking the car with you

:)

·
Vendor
1,699 Posts
A recent customer of mine said GTR's are about $200,000 in oz. Must be a good second hand market if that's the case so you should get a good return, covering your shipping costs etc, when you eventually sell over there. Assuming a UK car is the same as a Australian car with KMH/MPH, spec etc.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have done a fair bit of research on total export costs vs resale value and at best, I will be able to break even. The main for this is because of the taxes I will have to pay to Australian customs and because imported cars sell for about 10 - 15% less. So yes, optimistically, I would not be able to make very much on the car if I were to sell it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts