GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a good idea or not I know they sound great but, Ive heard stories the engine could cut out at any time.
any comments out there, if possitive which one is the best.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Do you mean BOV (blow off valve) on the intake or the wastegate (before the turbo)?

If its wastegate your asking about, not true.
If its BOV your talking about, some enignes won't idle properly if they are not set up correctly but never heard of engine randomly cutting out...Rob

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I would like to hear some opinions on BOV makes if anyone has the time...

I do like some of them that I hear, but is it too childish....

In my GT4 the missus used to say it sounded like the car was sneezing....ahhh women...

·
Registered
412 Posts
What I think you are asking about is an external dump with your BOV. Also known as VTA or Vent to Atmosphere. It produces louder sound and just generally sounds cool. Popular choices to VTA are the HKS SSQV and the TIAL BOV. Those are the ones most people prefer.

However, I do not know an exceedingly exceptional amount about Skylines so answer this question for me. Does a Skyline use a MAF or a MAP sensor? The reason I ask is because based upon my general knowledge of turbo vehicles, EVO not necessarily Skyline, VTA is a VERY bad thing on any car that utilizes a MAF sensor. Reason being with a MAF sensor the amount of air is measured before the turbo, since the air is then let out at the turbo the readings given to the ECU are wrong and it tends to generally mess stuff up, rough idle, stalling, loss of power etc. However with a MAP sensor the air is measured AFTER the turbo so you dont have that problem. Most people who want to VTA usually convert from MAF to MAP so they can maintain optimal performance. The Skyline may indeed come stock with a MAP sensor though so you may not have that problem. Have to let someone else answer that question though.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
324 Posts
I say get a recirc, they too can sound very nice (i think they sound better) and you dont have any of the probs associated with BOV's as it puts the air back into the induction.
Of course its all down to preference.

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
why do tuners make VTA valves then? Surely HKS know that Re-circs are better?

mook

·
Registered
728 Posts
Mookistar said:
why do tuners make VTA valves then? Surely HKS know that Re-circs are better?

mook
Yes they do but its harder to sell someone a dump valve that makes no actual sound difference to the car. Make it dump louder and they sell. I know people who have bought dump valves (vta) just for the noise alone even though they have been advised to leave the standard one on or fit a stronger re-circ valve.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have an ARC, sounds great. Like i said though its all down to personal preference which was added to avoid a debate.
I've ran them for 6 years on different cars and found them better, though i've only ever used a forge atmospheric so cant comment on the rest, i've heard a few bad reports about the HKS BOV's though.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Personally, i wouldnt put a noisy dump valve on a Skyline.. the sound of a good induction kit is far better IMO :)

*peep poop*

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Skylines use MAFs, the fat HKS BOV on my loaner R32 GTS-T definitely has something to do with the car randomly stalling from idle.

What are aftermarket options for recirc valves?

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Re-circ for MAF and VTA for MAP. It's that simple. Or you could use overboost valves like these. MAP only again.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My R32 GTR drag car one never had a dump valve. I have no idea why anyone would want to make their Skyline sound like a bus/lorry/R5 GTT.

Ohhhh, you meant a BOV. Didn't have one of those either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts