GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was racing aout last nite in my r33 gtr.when i rev the car really hard threw the gears i noticed an orange light flashes in the top right side of the instrument pod.its only for a moment until i change gear....anyone know what it means?
also,i dont drive my car very often,but when i do it usually gets a good ?? thrashing?
how often should i change the oil?i dont even know what the service intervals are for my gtr..but it was fully sercviced when i got it.i have the car six months now,but it has been sitting in the garage over winter.

ps:its a v-spec model
thanks,gary

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Sounds like the det warning light that is flashing, provided you have a Power FC fitted that is.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Is Probably the cat on fire light, assuming you have cat in place still.
Just getting a bit hot...

Rob

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Wouldnt it be the ECU light ? I know mines on the right and is orange. The only other orange ones I know are Fuel and HICAS, on the left and middle.

Do you have a diff temperature light perhaps ?

The cat light on mine was red

Mark.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
irishboy1977 said:
its de-cated...
its also got the stage one mods,and the apexi thingy.
100% certain it`s the det warning light now mate. Get a tuner to have a look at the map.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Orange Light

If you have stored your car over winter and not refuelled
since the octane rating will have decreased - Hence you have
det showing when orange light flashes - Feature of PFC

Fill your car up with Optimax - If light still comes on get it checked

Regards

Peter

·
Registered
430 Posts
AFAIK the standard PFC will flash the engine check light indicating there is detonation. Also, the PFC cuts fuel at the rev limit, so if you hit the rev limiter, fuel gets cut and you get detonation. Mine will do that, but other than hitting the rev limiter it never flashes. If that's what's happening, change up a bit sooner. If it's flashing before the rev limiter it probably needs to be re-mapped. Have you got the controller for the PFC?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have a controller but absolutely no idea how to use it.im afraid to touch it incase i mess it up.when i first got the car and had the alarm fitted i remember the whole lot needed to be reset.
now that we know what the light is,is it really a big problem?if it happened alot would i do any real damage?
it only happens when i get really excited and mess up my gear changes...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Not suggesting you change anything, but you can use it to monitor various parameters including detenation, injector duty cycle plus loads more. Try to download the manual and have a look, you probably will not find a skyline specific manual, but most will give you some explanation of the ECU.

Just press the previous button until you see the choice between display and settings (from memory, wording might be different), select display using the arrow keys. You will then come to a page that gives you the option of how many parameters are displayed on the screen, choose whatever you like.

My PFC is set to trigger the engine check light at about 30 detonation and that's quite a safe level AFAIK, but yours could be set to trigger at a higher level. You can check this in the settings menu but don't know where it is off the top of my head. Like I said if it's only flickering when you hit the rev limiter then your mapping is probably ok, if it's happening before the rev limiter it needs looking at. You need to be using SUL, I personally only use optimax, DO NOT use standard 95ron.

You don't really want the engine check flashing regardless, even if it's because you're hitting the rev limiter, just be more careful, unless you like spending money. Over revving will not do it much good either.

Removing power from the PFC will not reset it

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
00mpollard said:
it's the shift light! It basically tells you when you are red lining and to change gear, hope that helps!
"Advice" like that is dangerous.

There is no "shift light" in the R33 instrument cluster, nor the R34 one for that matter (there is a red LED in the R34 MFD when you enter the user configured "red zone").

The light you're talking about is the Engine Check light, which - if its coming on briefly when accelerating hard - means you're hitting 100% duty and running lean, which will = detonation.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
00mpollard said:
no :( can only dream at the moment! one day :smokin:
You shouldn`t make comments unless your pretty near certain that your information is right mate ;)

Saves you looking silly and stops potental damage being done by the person that believes you/others comments.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts