GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions for those lucky few who run this kit. With the spacer ontop of the block will i have to extend the length of the frontpipes? also is the crankshaft a full counter balance design.

just a afterthought, what is the upper rev limit of this engine using proper stage three tomei valvetrain

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
OS Giken recommend 9000 RPM as the maximum.

I have my rev - limiter set at 8800 RPM

Here is a picture of the crank, as you can see it is full counter balance.

Most of the pipework requires no modification

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Hi Hugh.
Lovely bit of kit there.
I am intrigued as to the slots machined into one of each pair of counter weight, any idea why ?
My initial thoughts were balancing but that does not compute. :)
Cheers Cokey

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I take it that some sort of thread locker has been attempted.

If the recomended redline is 9000 rpm then i guess a tomei stage three valvetrian is not really needed.

I have been looking all over for a source for this kit and have had some pretty decent quotes. however the dealer in the US went under so i am trying to get ahold of someone in the OS Giken Japan office to purchace directly.I can not find a email for them. do anyone have a contact or can anyone put me intouch with someone who may have such a contact.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Rod Bell i think Os Giken UK

canadian said:
I take it that some sort of thread locker has been attempted.

If the recomended redline is 9000 rpm then i guess a tomei stage three valvetrian is not really needed.

I have been looking all over for a source for this kit and have had some pretty decent quotes. however the dealer in the US went under so i am trying to get ahold of someone in the OS Giken Japan office to purchace directly.I can not find a email for them. do anyone have a contact or can anyone put me intouch with someone who may have such a contact.

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
m6beg said:
NO WAY!!!!:eek: :eek:
Are you serious??????

Mick
What I quoted is straight out the translated OSG engine assembley manual. Written in bold too.

Spitting the crank pulley off is far more common than people lead you to believe.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Cokey,

I have no idea why there are slots in the crank, be nice to find out though.

SteveN & R32 Combat

Since you know so much, who made the crank pulley that slackened off?

canadian,

On a high performance engine, crankpulleys need to be an interference fit on the crank, anything less and there may be issues with the bolt securing the damper slackening off.

OS Giken engines are often purchased by owners chasing big BHP which automatically introduces more crank flex and will test the security of the damper which I guess led to the statement issued by OS Giken. If the bolt slackens, it is the damper that is a fault as I know for sure the cranks are ground to size at tolerances better than .0005".

Just in case you missed it I gave my road going R34 ( as in full interior stereo etc, ) a spirited drive at TOTB V recently and produced a 10.49 second 157 MPH on the quarter and I have driven it every day to work since TOTB and just for the record, my crank pulley has never slackened off.

SteveN & R32 Combat, How many miles have you done in your cars recently, perhaps you have some fast times that you wish to share with us.

Get a grip guy's no one takes a pop at what you are up to with your engines, quite the reverse in my case. Not sure why you feel the need to take a pop, but two can play that game.

·
Premium Member
11,878 Posts
I don't know who made the crank pulley, but I do know it came right off and took out the rad and other very important parts.

OSG RB30's are really good and I'm not having a pop as you suggest.

There are many hidden horror stories about OSG parts. Personally I don't think they are all they are cracked up to be.

Is it not fair to speak of plus and minus points of everything??

As a side note, I've not built my engine to see how fast it goes, I've built it to see if I can. I'm not an armchair mechanic.:blahblah:
How did you find building your's Hugh??

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
R32 Combat,

PMSL, you don't know anything about me, never mind your comments about OS Giken engines.

I have never disguised the fact that RB Motorsport builds my engines as Rod is in my opinion as good as it gets in the Skyline world.

I have in my time built many engines and as far the current engine in my car I can confirm that I built the head up and left the rest to RB Motorsport. Pretty sensible, don't you think when it comes to building a 900 BHP engine.

Please note I don't have bit's of cast off plumbers pipe on my engine.

Also unlike yourself noted for selling electronics for Skylines, I know the difference between a gyro and an accelerometer.

Also unlike yourself my engine doesn't pi$$ water out of unknown places, because it's been built by someone who knows his stuff - to$$er!!

·
Banned
336 Posts
Hugh Keir said:
R32 Combat,

PMSL, you don't know anything about me, never mind your comments about OS Giken engines.

I have never disguised the fact that RB Motorsport builds my engines as Rod is in my opinion as good as it gets in the Skyline world.

I have in my time built many engines and as far the current engine in my car I can confirm that I built the head up and left the rest to RB Motorsport. Pretty sensible, don't you think when it comes to building a 900 BHP engine.

Please note I don't have bit's of cast off plumbers pipe on my engine.

Also unlike yourself noted for selling electronics for Skylines, I know the difference between a gyro and an accelerometer.

Also unlike yourself my engine doesn't pi$$ water out of unknown places, because it's been built by someone who knows his stuff - to$$er!!
ROFLMAO!!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Hugh Keir said:
Get a grip guy's no one takes a pop at what you are up to with your engines
oh dont gimme that, all ive EVER had on this forum is stick for trying to do something different and not sucking off all the tuners credit card in hand like everyone else does! :p

just mine takes for ever as im not rich, and mostly, have better things to waste money on.

BTW, im not stirring at all, fantastic engines, keith will soon prove that im sure, all i wrote was what it says in the OSG build manual! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sorry to have a thread that starts this confrontation, Ive got one more question to you guys who have purchased this kit.

Are you satasfied that you got good value, would you do it again?

Recently the price went down, for whatever reason, I would like to know how much you paid for the kit itself. please PM or post whatever you are comfortable with. also i would like to tell you my best quote to see if it is about as good as i will get and should take it rather then keep on looking.

i would like to join the ranks of OS RB30 owners and bring this kit to Canada. their are a already some of those rb30 Auzzi Truck Motors here. I would like to show them what time it is. Money does not really matter, but value does.

·
Premium Member
11,878 Posts
I've heard it all before from you Hugh.

I was stating facts and you turn this thread into a slagging match, well done and shut up. It really is water off a ducks back.

I've never built an RB30 before, so I expect there to be some issues. I make no secret about it. It's very much a learning curve for me which I enjoy. You can laugh at me if you wish, it really makes no difference.

Have a nice day.:)

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
JAY-R32 said:
Thats bollox
Its why ive never bothered much with the forum over the last year or so.
Countless time had people (99% of them with no tuning knowlege barring what people have fobbed em off with to help line their pockets) saying itd not work, itd be unreliable, itd drive horrible, etc, 99% of the time with either no base at all for their comments, or laughably pathetic or ironic ones due to their miguided knowlege.

Or people like Hugh who take offense to indirect comments (like what I used to get for saying I wouldnt pay and cant afford UK prices) and just come out with bitchy replies like above.

ANYHOW, lets forget all the gheyness and get back to this thread.

PS, I love you all :p

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.