GTR Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Adam,

Not sure if you are aware that Rod spent quite allot of time working on suspension for Andy Rouse when he was in Touring cars and also ran Andy Middlehursts R32 GTR for him.

I am sure you have checked with him on different directions to explore with your car.

Rod does not talk much about his extensive experience, but for my money he will give you the best advice you can get.

OS Giken will just direct you back to Rod, so suggest you get the most from his experience.

I have a spare 4WD pump you can try if there is any possibility you are not getting enough pressure to your 4WD.

There is also a discussion on here about a 4WD controller that might be able to improve on the speed and level of control the OE unit provides.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hugh,

We had the car down to RB for a day... and got some tips from Rod. He also tested the 4wd (line pressure was fine , but speed of transfer a bit lazy (worn plates in TX))

What should the pressure from the pump be again? 140psi rings a bell

He gave me some useful tips on general setup but the changes they made to the car didnt change the overall tendency it has to just oversteer on slow speed, tight corners.

Do you have a link to this 4wd controller?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Adam,

Here is a link to the thread 4WD Controller

From memory the pump can put out over 300psi, but I know that you need less than 200psi to lock the plates in the 4WD.

I am going to use an air system controlled by the Motec dash to manage the 4WD system, my only concern is that I will not be able to transfer the air pressure to the hydraulic circuit fast enough.

My air pressure will run at 200psi.

Having previously looked at the controller in the thread, I am not sure that I would choose the inputs that are planned.

For me front / rear wheel speed difference, ground speed, steering angle throttle position and disable 4WD on braking would be the inputs.

Anyway the thread is worth a read, I think the inputs they use are based on a Subaru system.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
thanks for the link.... yup, not sure why they wouldnt use speed sensors in that kit, how else are they going to detect wheelspin as a trigger to activate 4wd?!

you did not read that correctly, the G sensors are there and the algorithm developed is unique for this application. wheelspeed is not needed, nor is steering angle.
I'm trying to remember back, but Rod suggested the 4wd pump pressure was fine - just a bit too much slack in the TX box.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Adam,

The feed from the steering angle sensor should be easy to pick up as it leaves the sensor on the steering column.

I will be using 12 tooth trigger discs instead of ABS rings to feed into the ECU for traction control and also 4WD front / rear speed input.

I am going to use a GPS + accelerometer + gyro sensor package to provide external speed data for the traction control to work with and possibly as a speed and G force input into the 4WD control.

Not sure if the above would help you, but can share with you once its done.

It should also be able to overlay positional and speed data on to a video stream for later viewing, although there are a number of ways to do that.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Indeed - If I was you, id spend some time adjusting the diff.

First of all, find out how it is setup now, write it all down, then order some different cone springs and pressure ring springs. (Just buy the 28 and 38kg ones, as the 18kg one will lock up harder/more aggressive and it looks like this is not really needed :) ).

You might even want to do as in the below picture, where a few clutch plates have been disabled for less locking.

[QUOTE="Motoiq.com]Deactivating clutch discs is one of the most common tricks to tune a diff. Just about all diffs come optimized for drifting or very powerful cars with very sticky and wide racing slicks with pretty solid lock up. For grip driving it is common to deactivate some clutches to allow for some differential action on the exit of a corner. This helps a grip car get every bit of forward traction possible. In the top picture, Billy has placed two drive and two driven clutches together. This takes four discs and effectively turns them into two. This is how we are going to run Project NSX. In the bottom picture, three drive and three driven discs have been placed together making 6 discs two. This will soften the locking action even more if needed. This trick will work on all clutch type LSDs.[/QUOTE]

41 - 52 of 52 Posts