GTR Forum banner
61 - 80 of 407 Posts

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
m6beg said:
I did a 10.6 on a stock rb26 with a t78 turbo in my gold 32 100% stock car had 68000 miles on it.

Thats great, plenty havn't had your success.

Back to the RB30's...............

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Yea stock box. Stock engine.
Stripped yea. But that's how i use to drive it every single day.
To and from work.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
No it was race gas cool blue then. And yes you are right sorry i had a gear kit in. It was at Elvington were i did the 10.9 on 100% standard and pump gas.

·
Registered
184 Posts
R.I.P.S NZ said:
I have never had a failier of any kind either and thats after literally hundreds of 4th gear burnouts and 10 second 1/4's, all on a totally stock unmodified RB30e bottom end with a totally stock unmodified R32 RB25de head (the worst of the lot) with a stock RB20det exhaust manifold, stock gearbox, stock diffs and axles etc.

For "MOST" people a genuine 500whp is plenty, we go to well over 600whp with totally stock (ie, stock, used, unmodified crank, pistons and rods, no aftermarket cams, porting, stock head gasket etc) motors, that is good value for money in anyones book.

Plenty of guys all over the world have spent huge money on 26's and still not done a 10 or surely not a low 10.

Unless you have more money than sence, OR want a "genuine" 1000+hp the OS is not even worth considering.

If you do have alot of money and are going to build a "genuine" 1000+hp engine, at this stage I would recommend the OS.
(we have yet to test the limits of the stock parts, but intend to do so very soon)

Bang for buck the aussie/nz RB30 can't be beaten and they run 8's in NZ and Aussie with stock blocks and cranks (just to clear that up for some of you)
I even know of one NZ car that has done a high 8 with stock RB30e pistons and rods!!

My 2c. Robbie.
Rob I saw earlier in this thread someone saying that because they dont rev like a 26 the 3 litre would be hitting the rev limit in 5th,was that a ****take or what? where do you place your rev limit on your beastys?and if you put a modded 26 head with cams on one of your bottom ends where would the safety limit be in reguards to the crank?

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
If you are concerned about hitting the rev limit in 5th gear, you need gearing to suit the engine. R34 diffs would help. 3.9:1 as opposed to 4.11:1 in the R32/R33

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
How much is a OSG RB30 fully built and ready to go?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Cost ?

How much has your engine cost you so far ?
cokey :)

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Cokey,

Less than £3k on the RB30 bottom end inc oil pump.

But thats not what I asked.

So what does a OSG RB30 cost, or is it one of those stupid 'if you need to know how much it is then it's not for you' prices.

I've seem prices from £7.3k in Japan to £10.3k in Aus. So where does the UK price fall???

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
[N1ZMO] said:
Rob I saw earlier in this thread someone saying that because they dont rev like a 26 the 3 litre would be hitting the rev limit in 5th,was that a ****take or what? where do you place your rev limit on your beastys?and if you put a modded 26 head with cams on one of your bottom ends where would the safety limit be in reguards to the crank?
It depends on what you want to use the car for.
At the drags, on a good run (ie.mid-low 10) with 4.1 diffs and 26in tyres your getting real close to needing 5th, with the 4.4's/26in I use 5th all the time.

Stock bottom ends I place a 7200rpm limit (but once again, I have an engine with prepped stock rods that pulls 8000 all the time in a track car so who knows???).
Forged bottom ends, I'd say 8000-8500, maybe more, but I, or my customers, have not needed to rev beyond 8000rpm to make more power than we've been able to use in the cars we've had them in.
The cranks are just not an issue at up to 1000hp and at least 8000rpm, a few guys have reliably made that sort of power on stock cranks.

My opinion is, too many people replace parts WAY before the actual limit of these parts.
I have not even damaged or broken 1 rod, damaged 1 crank, broken 1 piston, blown 1 head gasket or had any failier and I'm hard on my test motors, stock gearboxes die with a light tune on one of my stock internal motors so engine parts giving trouble have been the least of my problems.

Even a car I am doing now with big slicks, jerico drag race box and all sorts of other good gear will still have a totally stock unmodified RB30 built entirely with used, stock N/A parts, stock N/A head etc, and if it doesn't run well into the 9's @ 145+mph I'll be very surprised.

Rob

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
ExScoobyT said:
It was 11K for the shortblock.
Thats over 3 times what a prepped 4wd forged internal RB30 need have cost :)

61 - 80 of 407 Posts