GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was initially gonna sell my R32 GTR but then (stupidly) had a change of heart and decided to fix whatever needed fixing and keep her for a loooong time....

There was a squealing coming from one my turbos, and then a small amount of smoke from time to time on the overrun. Ho hum….anyway – I sourced a used, good condition turbo to replace it with. Anyway…. Got the car to the garage for a quote on replacing the turbo, and said that I’d ummed and ahhed whether or not to fit a metal head gasket at the same time. The mechanic did a hydrocarbon test on the radiator just to see if all was well and although it didn’t turn the test liquid clear, it went from blue to mucky grey. Not so great…

Came to the conclusion that I’d have the head removed and pressure tested just to be sure, then have the piston rings checked and any replaced that needed it, as well as having the valves seats reground and a general health check all round.

Order the necessary bits (head gasket kit, turbo gasket kit & valve stem seals for a little under £500 from Abbey), put them in the car and left the car at the garage.

Got the pressure test results back today.

:(

Cracked oil gallery. Baylarks.

I pondered whether or not to go for a brand new head or a used one. Hmmm…. £1,183 + VAT = £1,390 for a new head from Nissan. EEK! RK Tuning had a used one in that was in good nick and wanted £500 for it.

Well, what to do…? Thinking logically, my head may well have been cracked before I bought the car, but I couldn’t take the risk that if I put a brand new one on it wouldn’t just crack too. Cracking is due to too much heat (either cooling problems or running lean) but the pistons look A-ok, so methinks it’s a cooling problem…

So, I’ve decided to go for the used £500 head and spend a little extra sorting out an oil cooler, fitting a new thermostat and checking the radiator is ok (and replacing if necessary). That little lot shouldn’t cost me more than ££900 so I guess it’s cheaper than the new head, eh?

I know that it’s a balanced risk, but I’d be spitting if I paid £1,400 for a new head and that cracked too!

So, what was originally going to be a £250 job has spiralled into something that’ll probably cost in the region of £2,000. ****…

Bang goes my plans for Power FC & mapping just after the New Year then :(

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,872 Posts
R32 heads are renowned for cracking. I've had 2 go on 2 different R32's.
You've done the right think IF you have a R33 head. Might be worth checking else the same thing might just happen again.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spoke to RK Tuning re. whether it's best to fit an R33 head. They said there's no difference. They see just as many R33 cracked heads as R32 ones. The head cracks because of either running lean or cooling problems, and the older R32s are more likely to have cooling problems simply because of the greater age of the components in a system that handles water.

I also asked whether he had any 2nd hand "spiced up" heads. Yep - he had a spare ported head, fully built up with HKS cams. £1,500. Ouch. So I went quiet and said "No thanks. I'll have the cheapest one..."

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,872 Posts
I was told the later casting overcame the cracking weakness, O well, what do I know. LOL
Ron gave me his old fully ported head. It's really good, exept its cracked. Hence me blagging it of him to copy the porting.
You should have had the head, thats cheap compared to how much it would cost to get one made. I'll shut up now... :D

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I had an extra grand to splurge just before Xmas then yeah sure why not. But I don't. :(

Unless anyone wants to send me a Christmas present?? :D

...thought not... ya miserable bastids ;)

I'm concentrating on getting the car up and running at the moment, then licking my financial wounds. Some point in the New Year I'll be looking to plumb in a couple of oil coolers - one for the engine and another for the gearbox. After that I'll be fishing for a Power FC and a Rod Bell remap. He charges £450 + VAT for a remap which works out at £520ish (for those of us mortals who can't claim VAT back!). Bit pricey ain't it? I know he's the Daddy at remapping but even so...

<Jim cuddles wallet protectively>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts