GTR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I had an unfortunate scenario where my both my apexi boost transducers and my factor boost gauge had a leak in the pipe that fed them.. so I had ended up increasing the duty cycle to achieve what i thought was 1.6bar.

Typicall on 2860-5s I was 64 duty cycle to get 1.6bar by the time i realised the issue i was running 80-90 dutcy cycle ouch!! not for long though only a few weeks.

I new there was something wrong as i was getting black smoke out of the car and maxing out 750cc injectors and not quite achieveing 1.6 boost!!!.. note to self put airflow on the commander in the future!.

Anyways, Im pretty sure the turbos are using oil now as Im using a max-min on dipstick in 1000ish miles.. have put some oil restrictors to the turbos to help stem the life blood of my engine leaving!.. Would this be expected from the turbos?

Anyone any idea of what boost level / airflow i might have been running.. i dont want to try it that high again and what damage to the engine this may have caused - i suspect none as i never saw knock above 40 on the commander during this period and the engine does have forged giken pistons, with Rod Bell always running very rich and loads of retardation on igniton past the 'mapped area'.

Turbo refresh i maybe?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
probably no damage to the engine but take a whiff of your exhaust to see if you're burning oil from the turbos.

On my car, it takes a duty cycle of 72~74 during the summer, and 68~70 during the winter, to achieve 1.95 bars boost.

And yep, my two critical things watched on the Commander is knock and airflow voltage. If I hit 4300mV on my AFMs then I've got enough boost, no matter how many bars it may be.

I was smoking from the turbos around christmas and was expecting to have to rebuild them, but after installing restrictors they burned off the remaining oil and have been running fine since. I think they're getting tired as it takes 74 duty cycle during the worst of summer to get my boost, versus 70 when they were new, but I now have hopes of getting them to last another year.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts