GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had the GTR for a month or so, but in that time I've had two drivers pull out on me whilst I'm overtaking - once on a country road and the other on the motorway. I had a 370Z for two years and this never happened, and I can't decide if it's partly my fault or theirs, or partly both because they don't appreciate (don't look properly at) the car's acceleration.
On the first occasion on the country road, I was doing a 2nd gear over take of a line of 5ish cars, then as I'm approach the second last car in the queue, the old git just pulls out (by which point I'm doing 90ish probably), quick reactions and good brakes meant I didn't drive up his senile arse. And yesterday on the motorway, a woman pulled out and missed contacting the car by inches.

It can't just be me... ?

·
Registered
278 Posts
People don't expect other cars to move as quick as GT-R's do... it happened to me the other day! I kinda took it on the chin as my own fault for moving too fast, but people should use their eyes more!!

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
I treat everyone on the road as a complete utter moron in every possible circumstance, just to make sure I expect something stupid to happen.

As Webber said though, the GTR accelerates like an animal so most people probably wouldn't expect it to move that quick. But then again, overtaking 5 cars at once on a country lane is asking for trouble with the amount of piss poor drivers out there one of them was bound to be in that 5 :p

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
Its not just you or your car.
You leave a gap greater than a gnats pee hole, some muppet will try to get in it.
Especially if your lane is moving quicker then theirs.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
It's not just the GT-R, exact same thing happened to me in the Lamborghini, the mix of acceleration too is not what people expect or are used to dealing with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
People seem to agree that the unexpected acceleration is largely to blame. As I was approaching the woman's car, I'd swear she looked in the mirror, so I thought it was safe to continue, but she pulled out anyway. Afterwards, I also suspected she was too busy either talking to the child in the car or on a hands-free phone call. Obviously the thundering Milltek y-pipe sound also wasn't a clue. And the old guy, well he was just old.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Its the rate of which the GTR accelerates.

a friend drove a my GTR towards me at full speed from about 200 meters away. It was so scary i kind of froze! Every time you blink the car is closer to you than your brain expected.

I had the same issue as you until I got a loud exhaust. With a loud exhaust its difficult to ignore the GTR and then every one will just make way for you. esp on the motorways ;)

V

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Oh and be careful! its a heavy car. you need room before you boot it ;)

This means check, surface conditions, potential other roads joining, obstacles etc etc. standard stuff when in a gtr

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Exactly why bikers get knocked off so often, they just don't judge for the speed. But then if your approaching at 90+ it's not entirely their fault!
I'm real carefull when overtaking especially with 360hp it's warp speed. Applying full beam when overtaking helps a little (I think).

·
Registered
570 Posts
Oh and be careful!

This means check, surface conditions, potential other roads joining, obstacles etc etc. standard stuff when in a gtr
....if you apply those rules as you would do on a bike you should be ok. Obviously on a bike you have to factor in the 'everyone wants to kill me and I will die' thoughts, so that is one less thought I have to have in the GTR.

I guess that's why I think I overtake quicker in the GTR!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Be prepared for anything if you're going for an overtake at 50% faster than the speed limit.
I often find if you're not directly behind the person 2nd in the queue (i.e. the one unwilling to overtake) no one seems to expect someone further down the queue to roar up behind them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You were going 90 to overtake! On a country road! In a GTR! Uh Ohhhhh :flame:
Yeah! Good fun, from 40/50mph ish to 90mph very quickly. Would have worked too if it wasn't for the old boy.

After the second occasion, I thought maybe I should stop it, but then what's the point of a supercar and not giving it a poke. Yes track days, but that doesn't interest me for some reason - maybe I should give it a shot, Castle Combe is near Bristol.

And motorways are mostly boring.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
The correct rule is if you are driving faster than the speed limit, or accelerating faster then other 'normal' road users then you need to think for other people.

Roadcraft isn't gained by driving, its gained by learning and understanding. Its all about speed differential.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Happens all the time and ive experienced it in all my fast cars lol not just the GTR.. Although it might be that stock GTR's are not so loud so maybe people just dont hear it..

Main cause is that people just do not expect you to come so fast.. Im sure they look in the mirror and see you, but cannot comprehend the rate at which you accelerate so they just pull out like retards..

Best to avoid this by reading the drivers and expecting it to happen in most cases.. dont go WOT when overtaking its just not safe most of the time..

·
Registered
924 Posts
Maybe I missed it and someone else posted this but.......

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bvLaTupw-hk
Hmmmmm. Very sobering reminder of what can happen.

As a biker, it's a common phenomenon that due to either speed or a bike's small cross sectional frontal area, people do not perceive the imminent arrival and just pull out. It still seems to happen with a fast car too, so I think it must be a speed perception issue.

To survive, especially on a bike, as others have said, you MUST expect the worst case and plan for it.

An ex police motorcyclist once taught me that unless you have absolute eye contact with the person waiting to pull out of a side junction, take it they haven't seen you and plan for it.

That short piece of advice has saved my life on so many occasions on a bike and twice in the GT-R, that I think it's worth mentioning.

Satan

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Had that with my grey MY10.
Never had it with the Yellow MY11 with DRLs.

You need people to see you coming, much safer.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Whichever car I'm driving I'm always very cautious overtaking more than 3 cars ahead of me (obviously I'm not stupid if there are 3 or fewer cars ... ;)) and tend to go quickly but not boot it until I'm level with the back of the second car from the front. I've witnessed it happen where someone rams straight into the back of someone pulling out directly in front of him / her.

Regarding the noise, you'll probably find that they will often not be able to hear you until you're pretty much on top of them (bearing in mind the sound tends to project backwards ...). For example, my mate cruising in his Prius on the m'way wasn't able to hear my Evo (considerably louder than my GTR) until I was three-quarters of the way past his car while booting it and he was actually looking out for me.

Much of it boils down to car craft, or a lack of, in the other people. I wouldn't like to state a figure but I reckon only a small percentage of people check their mirror when overtaking on a single carriageway road in much the same way as many people don't check their o/s mirror when turning right. It's to do with the cocooning effect a car has on people and it will probably happen more and more frequently as cars tend to control a greater and greater amount of the art of driving (lane assist, auto braking etc. - creates a false comfort / invincibility zone ...). Ironically, you'll probably find drivers who regularly drive faster are less likely to fall into this trap as they understand the necessity for observation and awareness of their surroundings.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts