GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As above, do any of you have a Y pipe fitted to a standard 'unmapped' car in, or around, north Kent or south east London that wouldn't mind meeting up to let me have a listen please?

Thanks,

Martin

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello mate,

I think it sounds fantastic from the exterior of the car bt I'm concerned as to how intrusive the noise in the cabin is. Don't fancy shouting conversations with passengers...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am also looking at one of these y pipes and have been considering it for a while.
I understand there 2 types.

Resonated- quieter and less drone and and non-resonated which is louder and has more of a drone.

Havent heard them side by side to compare though but from what I have read on this forum some guys have gone non-resonated to find it was too loud then changed it back to resonated........I think it was CT17.......he may be able comment.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Seriously, Get the pipe asap
A resonated pipe is a real no-brainer. Makes the car sound sooooo much better its chalk and cheese and its perfectly reasonable at lower speeds.No shouting required!!
Miltek is great but GTC and others just as worthwhile.
Warranty friendly too.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Iv got the resonated y pipe here in Oxford if anyone wants to listen to it. Sounds awesome not too loud.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Havent heard them side by side to compare though but from what I have read on this forum some guys have gone non-resonated to find it was too loud then changed it back to resonated........I think it was CT17.......he may be able comment.
Yes, my car came with a non-res Y pipe and it was loud. But worst of all it drove me nuts between 65mph and 75mph. Bang on cruising speed, so it had to go.

Like many things I liked it first, sounded great. Then the noise wore me down after a few weeks.

So I had the full Milltek pipe fitted and now it's much better. A little quieter and no drone.
Better than standard and safe for track days too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well I've owned my car now for about 2 weeks, it has the pipe fitted and I got the original one with the car too so I can swap back.

I find it slightly drony (is that a word?) if I'm honest. It's bearable but it's a little noisy. Sounds great at the back, the original is very quiet so there is quite a difference.

I think I'll live with it, it's not too bad but its definitely louder inside. I think it depends on what you want, if you like the exhaust note and feel it's quiet in standard form then this will do the job. If you need piece and quiet in your life then stick with stock.

I've only done a couple of hundred miles in mine so far as I don't tend to use cars much but Im pretty sure I'll leave it on.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I had a full Milltek inc non resonated Y pipe fitted. Whilst sounding good exterior I found there to be a strong drone (IMO) internally, only really from around 2K to 3K revs under engine load. Unfortunately equating to 65-75ish mph in top, so it became a pain for me at "other driver induced" motorway speeds. So that I mostly changed down, or tried to speed up to get out of the range when I wanted to talk to people/cruise quietly.
I had it changed for a resonated section and found this is MUCH better. Still a bit of drone at these revs, but it's really improved enough to not be an issue for me, but has the downside that I can now hear the other half with no problem at all..

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes, my car came with a non-res Y pipe and it was loud. But worst of all it drove me nuts between 65mph and 75mph. Bang on cruising speed, so it had to go.

Like many things I liked it first, sounded great. Then the noise wore me down after a few weeks.

So I had the full Milltek pipe fitted and now it's much better. A little quieter and no drone.
Better than standard and safe for track days too. :thumbsup:
CT,
So, did you keep the non res Y pipe on, and fit the rest of the Milltek system, or replace the Y pipe for a resonated item, and also fit the rest of the system ?, regards, SIMON.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
CT,
So, did you keep the non res Y pipe on, and fit the rest of the Milltek system, or replace the Y pipe for a resonated item, and also fit the rest of the system ?, regards, SIMON.
No idea, because I got it done at Litchfields and didn't ask...

All I know is it's better than standard, but no drone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts