GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the car for a week now, and am just discovering the oddities of the car . I read in the handbook that it is possible for the pads to become rusted to the rotors if they are wet when the car is parked up, due to the metal content of the pads. I thought,"extremely unlikely".

Well it was raining on Thursday when I put the car in the garage. I went to get it out today, Saturday, and guess what? I put the car in reverse, released the handbrake and gave the throttle a gentle touch. Nothing happened. I gave it a larger boot, and at first nothing happened. There was then a bang and the car lurched backwards.This wasn't a pleasent experience in a car parked in a tight fitting garage! At first I thought the gearbox was the problem. but it then occurred to me it actually felt like I had snapped the discs free, by using a larger dose of throttle.

I am certainly hoping this isn't a regular occurrence, as it isn't an experience I want to repeat to often. Has anyone else experienced this? .

·
Registered
290 Posts
This is nothing to do with the "oddities" of the car, most High Performance vehicles will do this. I spend a fair amount of time overseas, car in garage, simple to avoid. Don't use handbrake and avoid if possible to use the brakes to stop car in garage. Giving the car a wee push after stopped (in neutral) to confirm pads free should help.

My Porsche and M3 did the same when left for a period of time.

·
Registered
942 Posts
my mark 1 impreza turbo's brakes have a habit of doing this. usually only if you leave it sitting for four or five days though

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
My E39 M5 with an AP bbk with Ferodo DS2500 pads always did this if left for more than a few hours when damp.

D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car isn't parked on a slope, it's parked in my garage at night. I washed it yesterday, ready for the cruise to Brighton today, and put it back in the garage. Yes, they were rusted on again today, although they broke free more easily than the first time, possibly because the discs were cold when put away wet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When you park make sure you leave to idle for around 15 - 20 seconds this allows the pads to release further, it's in your manual somewhere.
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
The car isn't parked on a slope, it's parked in my garage at night. I washed it yesterday, ready for the cruise to Brighton today, and put it back in the garage. Yes, they were rusted on again today, although they broke free more easily than the first time, possibly because the discs were cold when put away wet.
Your discs will always rust after washing. Not sure why this should happen after washing more than road driving, but my discs show rust on the surface very, very quickly once I get underway with my cleaning regime.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Sorry my bad, its the second time ive seen a post thinking it was refering to a Skyline and not an R35 GTR. Not sure if they use the same handbrake system?
;)
bob

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Well it was raining on Thursday when I put the car in the garage. I went to get it out today, Saturday, and guess what? I put the car in reverse, released the handbrake and gave the throttle a gentle touch. Nothing happened. I gave it a larger boot, and at first nothing happened. There was then a bang and the car lurched backwards.This wasn't a pleasent experience in a car parked in a tight fitting garage! At first I thought the gearbox was the problem. but it then occurred to me it actually felt like I had snapped the discs free, by using a larger dose of throttle.
All cars can do this, even happened to my girlfriends toyota echo after she had washed it (left a good size skid before it released :p )
On my 32R I usually here it 'snap' off if I have left the brakes applied after a good wash.

·
Registered
968 Posts
When you park make sure you leave to idle for around 15 - 20 seconds this allows the pads to release further, it's in your manual somewhere.
:thumbsup:
Works for me!

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Just don't use the hand brake and put it in PARK !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts