GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black edition gtr, have had for 3 weeks now and can really see the serface scratches in the paint with a few defects in the bonet of the paint.

is it worth trying to correct myself or bring it up when it goes back next week for optimisation??

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hmmmm

Correction is an art - no amout of standard polish will work. The like of autoglym have fillers to mask scratches etc.

Take a look over at detailingworld.com - there is a raft of guys over there who will give you some excellent advice, right down to details who should be local for you

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Just one lazy wash can do this to a black car.

Most of keeping a black car nice is proper washing technique, two bucket method, lambswool mitt rather than sponge.

I'm no detail nut, but I wouldn't have a black car because of it. Silver and grey hide swirls better.

GTR paint is quite soft compared to say my wife's VW, so minor scratches can be polished out by hand (using microfibre cloths and a good cutting compound) with care and practice.

A good detailer will work wonders though, although when I considered some of the better known ones they wanted 10% of the value of the car I just sold for a detail. A local lad did a good enough job for most people for a tenth of that.

Like all things, depends what level you want to do it to.

·
Registered
816 Posts
It's all down to the care ,esp with the soft cheese excuse of paint on these cars, a good detialier and there's a few around covering your area will be able to help, but the swirls and marks will be back over time esp on a black car.

Your better off to ensure the washing and drying (2 bucket method with sheepskin mit and drying with plush micro fiber will help no end) ,then just get her paint corrected in a year or so after enjoying the car.

That or your end up will complete OCD like me and be cleaning it every 5 minutes and i've had mine 3 months now and covered less than 1500 miles lol, but if you really want to give her a good going over have a word with Alex at seriousperformance (your find him on here :) )

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did use a spounge! school boy error! am going to order a few bits from polished bliss, have used them before for a couple of things.

Iv fogotten how hard it is to look after a black car, it dose look amazing when clean and swirl free though.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, OCD is part of my problem I think

cheers will check Out alex too, spent enough cash as it is for a detailer. I'm sure u can't beat a professional but with some good advice
and some patience I'm willing to have ago

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did use a spounge!
Shame on you! :chairshot

As it says above;
2 bucket method
change water/turn cloth frequently
DONT WASH/POLISH IN CIRCULAR MOTIONS!

Every other car I buy is black, I'm stupid enough to forget what a pain they are each time and gravitate back to black, then I say not again!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I have a black edition gtr, have had for 3 weeks now and can really see the serface scratches in the paint with a few defects in the bonet of the paint.

is it worth trying to correct myself or bring it up when it goes back next week for optimisation??
I've heard that Jap paint can be soft on the detailing site, so doing your own correction should be a piece of cake. I recently did my Porker (Wannabe GTR owner @ mo). It was the first time i used a DA polisher put I found it very easy. The finish is worth it and using the 2 bucket method and good quality soft cleaning tools it shouldn't need doing again for a while. Although that said I'm hoping to have a GTR by the time it needs doing, lol.

Jim

P.S. Here's a link for what I did

911uk.com - Porsche Classifieds, Finance, Insurance, Parts & Service : View topic - Just detailed my turbo

·
Registered
290 Posts
Be careful thinking that soft paint makes correction and detailing easy.

Quite the opposite in fact, especially with the black paint, big issues with paint marring.
From what I have heard can be quite a nightmare.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My plan of attach with the soft paint issue is as follows.

1. Jet wash
2. Snow wash
3. Wash with mitt using 2 bucket method.
4. Jet wash clean.
5. Final rinse with filtered water, especially important if not drying car.
6. Dry if time permits with a drying towel.

Keep topping up with polish or sealer once per month.

·
Registered
765 Posts
You shouldn't use a jet wash it drives the grit into the paint. Put a rose fitting on your hose pipe and set it to shower. Try and get the water to run across the surface of the paint. This will remove most of the grit. Then use the method above.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
me..

1. Snow foam, leave for 15 minutes.
2. Whilst snow foam is on, do the alloys and tailpipes.
3. Jet wash snow foam off.
4. Wash, 2 bucket method, microfibre mit
5. Rinse with deionised water.
6. Microfibre dry
7. Optiseal!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Be careful thinking that soft paint makes correction and detailing easy.

Quite the opposite in fact, especially with the black paint, big issues with paint marring.
From what I have heard can be quite a nightmare.
Quite true, i had never thought of it like that before. I can't see that it would be to bad if using say Meg's 80 (Very light cut with a great finishing ability) and a finishing pad. That's normally used to finish off a stage 2 process so could be quite well suited to correcting that sort of paint. Then finish off with a good durable wax to protect the finish :thumbsup: It might be worth putting a post on the detailing world forum and asking advice from the pro's. Dave's guide on there is bloody brilliant.

Jim

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quite true, i had never thought of it like that before. I can't see that it would be to bad if using say Meg's 80 (Very light cut with a great finishing ability) and a finishing pad. That's normally used to finish off a stage 2 process so could be quite well suited to correcting that sort of paint. Then finish off with a good durable wax to protect the finish :thumbsup: It might be worth putting a post on the detailing world forum and asking advice from the pro's. Dave's guide on there is bloody brilliant.

Jim
Talk to Paul of Ultimate shine, he has now worked on probably 10 + GTRs, he will tell you of the difficulties of the black paint.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
If your using a rotary then something like #80 and a finishing pad will do the job fine as the machine will work harder than a DA. By DA you'll still need something slightly higher cutting, or at the very least working up the pad scale a bit as you won't achieve much at all with a finishing pad.
One of the best polishes I've found on the GTR black is Meguiars D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream.... It's just annoying (well, for customers anyway) it only comes as a gallon. I even find it better than the ludicrously priced M205 polish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts