GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
31,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

when getting the cam covers coated, is powder coating or paint considered the best option?

also, how hard a job is it removing the appropriate covers, and will i need to buy any gasgets or anything when refitting them?

bear in mind i'm a mechanical gibbon?

anu input welcome as i was almost sick when i looked at my engine the other day

lol

mook

·
Administrator
31,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, been using the search engine (now ive stopped calling them rocker covers, lol)

seems i need NO gasgets or anything.

seems removing the front cambelt cover though requires marking of the position (checking the timing)

Also seems most people Paint, rather thn powder coat, although i can't see any reason for this?

mook

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mookistar said:
Also seems most people Paint, rather thn powder coat, although i can't see any reason for this?
I think most people paint as it's a bit cheaper and there's more choice of colour.

I'm just about to do the same, and I'm hoping to go powder-coated. It's a bit dearer than painting but should be easier to look after and last longer - and I'm not getting anything fancy done, just a flat colour :)

·
Administrator
31,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was quoted mates rates of £50 for the front and top covers, powdered in a flat colour

also getting a quote for colour coding the covers to the body colour (MP).

my only concern is removing and refitting them, as i'm a proper monkey.

lol

mook

·
Registered
81 Posts
I tried both the powder coat places local to me today, and neither were answering their phones :(

Will let you know what they quote, tho it's got to be more than £50 i would have thought. Maybe I need to start hanging out in the pub opposite them :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts