GTR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just a really quick question. ..
I recently read a thread on here where people were chatting about some sort of layer of paint/chip protection stuff can be applied to cars...
I remember reading that it had to be applied by certified people etc..

I have used the search function but cannot find it anywhere..
Please point me in the right direction.

All the best,

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Gtechniq crystal serum

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
They serve 2 different purposes, I fancy the high shine all over, don't tailgate as a rule

·
Registered
137 Posts
There is also Modesta BC-05 which i have just recently had applied.Seems to be very good and no need to polish or wax as it constantly shines :chuckle: Just a quick wash and dry and thats it done

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mines protected with gtrchniq C1 and exo. The only areas affected are the rear quarters which have slight road rash marks which I guess must happen to most.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
personally I'm still not convinced with long term coatings they tend to over promise and under deliver

giving a life expectancy that if it doesn't achieve they simply blame the application method or environment it was introduced by or into

more recently a lot of concerns are being raised about how aggressive the bond is and once worn away which may take a few years to happen the clear coat or lacquer is damaged beyond recovery

as you all know I'm a wax man and yes it needs applying annually but its time served and proven and to be honest kicks the shit out of the finish achieved by any sealant

going onto chip protection a good paint protection film well installed will do the job well

just make sure its installed by a competent fitter and that it is plotter cut then applied to the car

paint protection film SHOULD NOT be hand cut on the car its far to thick if the proper stuff is being used

either go for a 3m approved installer or my own personal preference is paint shield from peterborough who use expel ultimate self healing

paul

·
Registered
644 Posts
Its really up to you what you wanna go for.. All options have their advantages and disadvantages.. Best to do some research and see what you feel comfortable going with..

Clear protective wrap

Wax

or Sealant

My preference is Sealant (Either Crystal Serum or Modesta bc05) + Gtechniq EXO for the extra hydrophobic effect as it lasts a very very long time, doesnt need to be topped up regularly or annually re-applied like wax and also is very strong in terms of protection against scratches etc etc.. Have all my cars sealed up :D Even when buying new

·
Registered
356 Posts
i agree with Paul on this.
i have never really bought into the snake oil that is synthetic coatings, and a good carnuba based wax applied twice a year is your best bet, the added bonus of getting in close contact with every panel on your car means you will pick up every stone chip or imperfection before they become problems.
self healing clear wrap either 3M or Hexis we find is the best solution, we cut the templates on our mimaki plotter as this is the only way, as knife v paint is a big no no.
the film is fairly robust, but after time it does pick up a slight amount of micro scratches that cant be polished out via normal methods, avoid the cheaper films as these tend to yellow over time.

the only danger of protection films is that they have a high % of UV filtering which doesnt match the UV protection in the paint lacquer so you just might see a small colour change when the film is removed after a while.

·
Registered
115 Posts
personally I'm still not convinced with long term coatings they tend to over promise and under deliver

giving a life expectancy that if it doesn't achieve they simply blame the application method or environment it was introduced by or into

more recently a lot of concerns are being raised about how aggressive the bond is and once worn away which may take a few years to happen the clear coat or lacquer is damaged beyond recovery

as you all know I'm a wax man and yes it needs applying annually but its time served and proven and to be honest kicks the shit out of the finish achieved by any sealant

going onto chip protection a good paint protection film well installed will do the job well

just make sure its installed by a competent fitter and that it is plotter cut then applied to the car

paint protection film SHOULD NOT be hand cut on the car its far to thick if the proper stuff is being used

either go for a 3m approved installer or my own personal preference is paint shield from peterborough who use expel ultimate self healing

paul[/QUOTE

Im taking what you said with a pinch of salt until you show me some proof that sealents are causing damage. I only used to use swissvax best of show then I got converted to gtechniq.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
...or Sealant

My preference is Sealant (Either Crystal Serum or Modesta bc05) + Gtechniq EXO for the extra hydrophobic effect as it lasts a very very long time, doesn't need to be topped up regularly or annually re-applied like wax and also is very strong in terms of protection against scratches etc etc.. Have all my cars sealed up :D Even when buying new
So I was don't at my gtechniq approved detailer today to get my car looked over and a quote for Crystal Serum. The owner pointed out something that had been worrying me, if a car park Doris scratches your car, you will no longer be able to get a simple 'smart' repair, or part panel, the CS will have to be ground off and the panel done from scratch!

I'm going for C1 and exoV2 and welcome the advice.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
i should add that these aren't my own personal findings but those of paul dalton who is a close personal friend

he's been doing a lot of testing for some time now and the results he's just beginning to make public

I've always been the type to sit back and not get involved in the "latest thing" so until things prove themselves over time i will stick to what i know and trust

·
Registered
644 Posts
So I was don't at my gtechniq approved detailer today to get my car looked over and a quote for Crystal Serum. The owner pointed out something that had been worrying me, if a car park Doris scratches your car, you will no longer be able to get a simple 'smart' repair, or part panel, the CS will have to be ground off and the panel done from scratch!

I'm going for C1 and exoV2 and welcome the advice.
Yes thats true, a very valid point..

However all of the medium to minor scratches will be absorbed by the serum.. So it wouldn't have actually damaged the paint that much at all (The whole point of CS).. Once CS has worn off later down the line, it can be simply polished and cleaned as normal.. Only if the car park Doris really BADLY scratches you car, digging through the paint, you are screwed, and if that happens with or without the Serum.. You are screwed either way lol

Anyway that is one disadvantage to the serum, but also makes it what it is.. A highly strong semi-ceramic protective coat..

C1 + EXO is great combo.. If you want longer protection and better shine but not the disadvantages of CS, go with Modesta Bc-05 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I didnt want to protect the front end of my car in film due to colour fade,i understand that white is the worse colour.Looked at wax's etc,but it has to be done on a regular basis and dosent protect from scratches etc.
Reguarding the little old lady story,i have to agree with Haslak,the CS and Modesta is so hard that i think you are going to dent the panel before you scratch through the coatings,as these nissan panels arent the strongest lol.
The detailer i used for the Modesta also knows Paul Dalton,and he also applied the EXO over the top of the modesta,just so it gives the modesta extra protection while its curing to the full time,2 weeks.

Everythink in the world has advantages and disadvantages and it also comes down to preference,which makes us all different:chuckle:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts