GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you will know, my car has a kit on it and I've decided to add some new parts;

This is my car in it's current state...

Since those pictures were taken I have a few new parts which I am going to fit soon, which will mean the following parts on the car will be bare carbon;

1. Bonnet.
2. Bonnet Splitter.
3. Front Grill.
4. Front Splitter.
5. Wing Mirrors.
6. B Pillars.
7. Boot Lid.
8. Rear Spoiler.
9. Rear Centre Panel.
10. Rear Diffuser.

My question is - Bare Carbon looks a little dated so what would be a good paint/carbon ratio? I'm also going to remove all the decals.

Any ideas would be appreciated, especially those in the trade who may have suggestions?

·
Registered
67 Posts
what color is on it now, sparkling silver? I agree with the simplier carbon ratio--with everyone layering carbon on everything its not exotic as it once was. Imo I say a little is still subtle while being sexy, maybe a 10% ratio or less.

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what color is on it now, sparkling silver? I agree with the simplier carbon ratio--with everyone layering carbon on everything its not exotic as it once was. Imo I say a little is still subtle while being sexy, maybe a 10% ratio or less.
The car is sonic silver, it's much darker than Sparkling Silver.
Just wondered which parts to paint and which to leave.
Also wondered if anyone has had theirs painted so that just bits were showing carbon? (as in purposely leaving bare areas as a highlight, like around the ducts etc)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Matt, you know my feeling about bare carbon! Just my b pillars and spoiler end caps are bare carbon, less is more. It takes a brave man to buck convention after spending all that money on carbon, to paint the lot!!!! But the results are worth it.:smokin:

You have to get enough paint on it to get it smooth while retaining the weave for very light texture, when my TopSecret bonnet was painted we actualy had paint flowing off the bonnet when we finished laying it down.:eek:

But hay its your car! its not our choice it is an extension of your own individuality. So do what you feel is right for you and your car. Your gut feel has served you well, so far.:bowdown1: So in the words of the small green one¨ May the force be with you, choice wisely young matt, because the dark force is strong¨

And dont forget if you dont like it when your done, you can always paint it, if you dont like the result!!!!!!!:chuckle:

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers John

I might fit it all and then make my mind up then - I just think that there will be too much black against Silver really :runaway:

Anyone good enough at photoshop to edit the bonnet above^ in body colour for me?? (Don't have photoshop at work)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Your first instinct is correct, So paint it!!! All of it, go on i dare you! :chuckle:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks Paul, See i was right all a long!

May be i should follow others and become more self opinionated!

Also Matt while your at it loose those bonnet pins and get some nice flush ones to clean up those lines!

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you did not want an answer you should not have asked the question!

I painted my Nismo Carbon 400 blade it is easy just close your eyes and let someone else pull the trigger!

As i said when you leave it and when you are not happy with the result you can paint it then!

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
A bit reluctant to paint the Do-Luck Type 2 spoiler though :bawling:
Leave the ends carbon to match your mirrors and B-pillars ?

Possibly leave the front splitter and rear diffuser carbon for balance ?

My Carbon bonnet lasted five minutes before it was painted.....
...and the suggestion about changing the bonnet pins to Aerocatch ones is very valid - it makes more of a difference than it sounds.

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Point of no return...... (not really!)

Decals are now gone for good :nervous:

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
It's all about balance, Matt. It's not a question of too much or too littloe, it's more a case of not having too much on the front compared to the back or vice versa.

I think (personally) that the bonnet is the fulcrum for the carbon issue. If the bonnet's painted then no amount of carbon anywhere else on the car will look balanced. Bare carbon only really works with a street or circuit racer look. If you want an elegant yet aggresive road car then I'd say paint it all and maybe just leave a little carbon showing. If your sideskirts are painted I'd say you should have the front splitter painted too. I'd suggest this:

1. Bonnet - painted
2. Bonnet Splitter - painted
3. Front Grill - painted
4. Front Splitter - painted
5. Wing Mirrors - bare carbon
6. B Pillars - bare carbon
7. Boot Lid - painted
8. Rear Spoiler - painted legs and sides, bare carbon wing.
9. Rear Centre Panel - painted
10. Rear Diffuser - bare carbon

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With the parts I've got, the front will look similar to this;

I've got a spare set of genuine nissan Xenons I'm putting on and the decals are all going.

I'm having the wheels powder coated flat dark grey or black, not sure yet.

Like you said Jim, it's all about balance - I'll see what it looks like all bare and then paint it if I don't like it.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Hmmm... not convinced that the change of colour on the wheels is an improvement. As they are they side really well with the car.

I'd definitely paint the bumper vents though. I'm particularly fond of the 'street racer' look but you need graphics etc. to balance it out, otherwise it just looks, well, unpainted & unfinished.

JMHO :) At the end of the day you should do what you like the most - it's your car and your own personal statement matey :) There will ALWAYS be people saying "XYZ looks wrong - do ABC" and just as many people waiting to say "ABC looks wrong - do XYZ"...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts