GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a long search here in forum, I couldn't believe that nobody had questioned this before so here it goes!

Did anyone from You ever painted the engine block by themselves?

What paint would i use for it? I had this discussion with several people here in the last couple of hours and they all have different meanings!

Use base coat and then the paint? No base coat? High temerature paint?

Maybe someone is experienced and might help out!

Thanks!

Cheers,
RoB

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I've used various paints in the past and the best I've used so far is this Classic Transport Engine Enamel Paint (500ml) | Frost Auto Restoration Techniques

To paint:
Remove any loost paint/rust - wire brush on drill is good for this
De-grease thoroughly - Jizer/cellulose thinners/Isopropanol alchohol all ok
Paint - brush or spray straight on but will need several coats to get the colour nice and solid.

Don't use Smoothrite and Hammerite as anti-freeze/oil/brake cleaner all attack it so it goes dull.

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, same as jonny I ask myself is it ok to use a normal color or does it have to be high temp. I mean, it won't get too hot I guess!

The block is going to get washed properly next week, after that I will remove all rust and then clean it either with acetone or brake cleaner.
I was thinking of buying a simple prime spray and then a simple black spray.

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
Halfords engine enamel is good stuff, well at least the satin black is. 3 coats as per instructions, a new set of core plugs and the block looks factory fresh.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I used Mipa Dickschichtlack
It's anti corrosive and chemical resistant. Sticks like s**t to a blanket and doesn't need priming first.
Any good quality paint should work at the temperatures the block encounters.
If you can spray a 2k paint will give you better protection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts