GTR Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Not moved a single goalpost and you've failed to refute any of the points I've made you just bang on about value for money.
Ok, Lets look at this value for money v's development costing argument.

Can you please explain to me how a genuine Nismo 400R bodykit is going to cost me say (for augments sake) £10k delivered to my door where as another aftermarket tuner at the top of their model range (insert BMW/Mercedes/Audi, etc, etc) will cost roughly half of that price or less?

And I'm not talking out of my ar$e here either. I bought a full genuine brand new Irmscher bodykit for my 3.6L Senator (which was front bumper, front grill, side skirts, side skirt door extensions, rear bumper and boot spoiler) for pretty much £4k from Welch of Newport Vauxhall Dealership....Who supplied it directly from Irmscher in Remshalden.

Both Nismo Japan and Irmscher GmbH I'd guess would have the same (or very similar) development and manufacturing costs for such kits but why is the Japanese stuff twice the price or even more than the equivalent German TüV products?? I don't get the pricing discrepancy when you look at vehicle models in other performance car markets and for this reason I'm in the same camp as TT on this particular subject.

three cars all R33 GTR's all mechanically sound, all with decent paint & interior, same age and similar mileage.

1st one is a vspec with a copy 400r bodykit - but fettled so the fit is right.
2nd one is a vpec with a genuine Nismo 400r bodykit
3rd one is a genuine 400r.

Which one do you think would be the more desirable one for most buyers to own?
I cannot speak for everyone else here but for me I'd go with option one. Its not because I'm being pedantic for the sake of this topic but more because I actually like to use my car on a daily basis as my everyday preferred choice of transport.

Option One gives me the look to stand out from the crowd of average Skyline GT-R's without the expense, So this saved money can be put towards any future repairs deemed necessary. Option One also gives me the "It doesn't cause me to burst a blood vessel" reaction when the inevitable pratt hits my car with a shopping trolley or worse in Tesco's, etc and Option One also allows me to use my car as an everyday fun vehicle in a role that my current Do-Luck kitted BCNR33 does!

Option Two for me turns the Skyline into a weekend only and fun weather machine for planned trips with safe/secure destinations leaving Option Three with only 44 ever made as a static museum piece only, Which is a waste seeing as the flagship GT-R range was created to be driven.

Again, JM2PW!;)

·
Premium Member
5,775 Posts
I can***8217;t say why the nismo stuff is much more expensive than a bmw kit but if I had to guess I***8217;d say it was down to numbers expected to be sold, the bmw market being so much bigger than the Nissan one, and perhaps why they are now slapping the nismo badge on all areas of the Nissan range

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Evening guys,

Maybe enough is enough now, I never intended things to get this deep, I thought I was asking a fairly simple question that would provoke answers like, not my cup of tea, love it, quality is crap, quality is ok, but the fit is crap, lets face it, anything can be made to look good with the right skills and enough effort and lets not forget that I never said I was going to buy the kit, just that I was thinking about it, hence asking for your opinions.

If I'm being honest, after a bit more research I think I'll go a different route, I do find the styling a little "Marmite", that and the fact it has to run stupidly low all the time to make the look work properly, not very practical for where I live.

And finally, on another note, I've actually had a really interesting day today, left home around 6:00am this morning, clocked up a few hundred miles and just over 6 hours driving, met a couple of really interesting and very knowledgeable guys with more than a passing interest in R32 GTR's, who had a stunning self built track car with a 1000hp self built engine and neither of them, either build or tune cars for a living, I also picked up some bits I bought a while back, bought some more bits, and pinched a couple of more subtle ideas that can be used on Project B.

That said, I'm going to say thanks for the input guys and wish you all a good night.

And due to the change of direction, could the powers that be close this thread please.

Kev.

·
Premium Member
5,775 Posts
Sorry Kev, didn***8217;t mean to drag it so far off topic but it is something I feel strongly about having had my own work replicated in this way.

At the end of the day it is personal choice how you spend your money, just do it with your eyes open is all I would say.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
I can't say why the nismo stuff is much more expensive than a bmw kit but if I had to guess I'd say it was down to numbers expected to be sold, the bmw market being so much bigger than the Nissan one, and perhaps why they are now slapping the nismo badge on all areas of the Nissan range
Just FYI (as I have a copy of the original German documents to back this figure up), Irmscher wanted to sell 1200 of their full car bodykits throughout the late 80's and early 90's and beyond but actual sales figures show less than 200 being purchased with 104 of these being the 4.0i 24v engined variant.

Numbers would say specifically then in my case that the European stuff is more exclusive and more costly due to its smaller market Simonh.... :eek:

And due to the change of direction, could the powers that be close this thread please.

Kev.
Thought I'd get this last post in before its locked!

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Much smaller numbers than I would have guessed!
Its a very common issue when you look deeper Simonh. GM boffins and sales experts predicted they'd easily sell 1850 Lotus Carlton's/Lotus Omega's when they went on sale in 1990. By 1993 this total was lowered to only 1100 units bandied about in large numbers of the motoring press.

Actual cars built is 951, Well short by both targets....:rotz:

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
One question though, is your do luck kit a genuine one? ;)
As a matter of fact, Yes it is with logo's in the resin too...BUT I have found what you may call shall we say some discrepancy with the tolerances of the overall product. Its a quality bodykit no question but far from perfect.

Nothing wrong with the materials used just a little thin in some areas and I have found porosity in both of my cars side skirts. The rear bumper is a thick and monstrous item with the passengers side being a wee bit thicker than the drivers side. I wonder if that was done on purpose due to the heat expelled from a Skyline's exhaust?

The genuine Bomex front splitter (also ftted to my vehicle) is exactly the same again with the passenger side a couple of millimetres thicker than t'other one!

Fibreglass parts eh Simonh....Glad I wasn't the one who originally bought it. :D

·
Premium Member
5,775 Posts
I had a genuine rear do luck at one point, fit was good and seemed well made from what I recall. Just couldnt find the front and side skirts to match so ended up selling it on.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I think it is all relative and down to personal taste. I'd love an Omori built R33 GTR GT spec (one down form the R34 Clubman) but I couldn't afford one. I have however been collecting Nismo & OEM Nissan parts to build my own 'homage' to the factory Omori car and the S-Tune / 400R.

Personal preference says genuine parts and my collection waiting to go on are the majority Nismo with a couple of HPI & KTS bits where there isn't a Nismo / Nissan optional replacement. Yes, it is more expensive to do it this way, but I'd like my car to be how Nissan / Omori might have built it had I given them my car... Sure, it'll take a bit longer, but I'm not building it to sell in 5 years time or break for parts because I got bored. Not a lover of 20 different brands, but I understand people buying the best part for each job. It's Nismo for me, my choice and I'm happy to pay the money! I don't smoke, rarely drink, but don't tell people they're stupid for blowing their money on £15 boxes of fags, or say "why not smoke the hooky ones for a fiver instead? They're all the same..." ;)

I'm not a lover of copy kits as a lot of what I've read says the same thing, poor fitment or requires a lot more cutting, filling, etc. Personal experience of a radiator cooling panel seemingly copied from a genuine Garage Defend GT Cooling panel saw it far too small, the fit was shocking and bolt holes didn't line up!

I can see the appeal of copy kits for a track / drag / drift cars where constant damage may be a worry, but for me, driving a street only car, genuine all the way. :thumbsup:

:flame:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
And finally, on another note, I've actually had a really interesting day today, left home around 6:00am this morning, clocked up a few hundred miles and just over 6 hours driving, met a couple of really interesting and very knowledgeable guys with more than a passing interest in R32 GTR's, who had a stunning self built track car with a 1000hp self built engine and neither of them, either build or tune cars for a living, I also picked up some bits I bought a while back, bought some more bits, and pinched a couple of more subtle ideas that can be used on Project B.
Sounds like Marcus and Walter???

Kev.
Doing it now. Had an early night last night, that's why I didn't notice this sooner.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.