GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FFS! A light dusting of snow and people start cleaning out the shelves in supermarkets:mad:

At worst, they’ll probably not get to the shops for 2 or 3 days so do they really need to buy up stocks of everything?

In 36 years of driving, I think snow has only completely stopped me getting somewhere two, maybe three times, so I’m pretty sure I’d be able to get to the shops one way or another. Countries like Canada and Sweden must piss themselves at our pathetic antics where a small amount of snow is concerned.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Agreed, even heard them on the news last night warning people to stock up with supplies in light of the impending doom that is a bit of snow. Absolute joke how this country reacts, not helped by the media hysteria over the whole thing.

I wonder how many people will take the next few days off work............

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,189 Posts
FFS! A light dusting of snow and people start cleaning out the shelves in supermarkets:mad:

At worst, they’ll probably not get to the shops for 2 or 3 days so do they really need to buy up stocks of everything?

In 36 years of driving, I think snow has only completely stopped me getting somewhere two, maybe three times, so I’m pretty sure I’d be able to get to the shops one way or another. Countries like Canada and Sweden must piss themselves at our pathetic antics where a small amount of snow is concerned.
Just came back from the Slovenian Alps. Strangely they have a fair bit of snow there without the world ending.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I'm having good fun in my A8 on Nokian winter tyres today, watching everyone else tiptoe and slide about.

Skoda superb taxi in front of me went straight on at a mini roundabout with full lock on locked up wheels, its all quite amusing (until one of them crashes into me at least)!

Off to the shops later to buy 10 loaves of bread and 6 pints of milk :rolleyes:

261 Posts

The vast majority of people are not prepared in the UK. Running around on 3mm tread budget tyres, whereas it is law in Sweden to run winter tyres from 01/12 to 31/03 on your vehicle. The standard of driving is generally better too, in my opinion.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Had 15 cm of snow overnight about a week ago here in Sweden. Got to work as normal and didnt really affect anything. Now its -10 and Icy-roads.
Good time to practice skids when you arrive at a snowy/icy empty parking. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Got to confess, I'm a panic buyer in situations like this. Over the last 2 snow periods, I have panic bought:

Endless MX72 front and rear brake pads
BCMS master cylinder brake kit
LM1200 turbos

and am waiting to see if it really snows tomorrow so I can finish off and confirm the engine build.

As I say to the Mrs, You just can't be too careful!

·
Registered
96 Posts
As an old codger I remember the 1963 bad winter and okay there was only a fraction of the cars around then compared to now, but it never really stopped moving. But of course cars then had only a fraction of the power, skinny tyres which are really the answer.
I also have worked in Norway and yes all the main roads were clear during the winter period but some of the minor ones weren't and the sidewalks could be quite treacherous.
And likewise with Sweden the law is in winter all cars have to be fitted with winter sticky tyres. I seem to remember they didn't like studded tyres because they damage the tarmac.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts