GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys. Need 2 new tyres on rear and gonna get a couple of MPSS put on to replace Dunlop run flats that are really low now. The fronts are fine at present so no need to change. I appreciate it's prob best to change all 4 together (lots of bills at present ***128553;), but would there be any probs having run flats front and non run flats at the rear? Prob just slightly softer handling at rear i'd imagine.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Depends on when and if you get a puncture!!!!

I still do not understand anyone running a non-run flat tyre on a car without a spare tyre or space saver!!!

I certainly wouldn't want to be the one stuck on a country back road at midnight with no phone signal and a flat tyre!!

Just 2p worth you understand!!!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I wouldn't run mpss with run flats. I've still got my old RE040 run flats that I replaced with mpss if you want to make me an offer for two to get you by until you can afford a full set at once.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Totally understand Steve. Thanks for your thoughts. Most seem to rave about the pro's of the MPSS over the cons, so it seemed the obvious choice that's all.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sounds risky to me having different handling characteristics between the front and rear. I was advised by several people to not even mix Dunlops and Bridgestones but perhaps that's a bit extreme.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
RE040 ????

I hope not, think you mean RE070 ?

Nope, don't require any more of that fantastic OEM tyre, Thank you.
I could sell you some RE070 rears until you are in a position to buy a full set of whatever you chose.

PS I don't think you should mix em !!

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Steve, Just get a conticomfort kit.

If it's that bad get it towed.

If you are stuck on a country road with no signal, drive slowly until you get signal. If you kill the wheel, you've wasted £500 or a refurb cost. Not a major risk for the likelihood of it happening.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Steve, Just get a conticomfort kit.

If it's that bad get it towed.

If you are stuck on a country road with no signal, drive slowly until you get signal. If you kill the wheel, you've wasted £500 or a refurb cost. Not a major risk for the likelihood of it happening.

I don't need anything as I have sensible run flats!!! :chuckle:

Just advising someone who is contemplating putting non run flats on a car that was designed for run flats!!
:flame:

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
No mods on my car, only enhancements!!

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
So the mpss, developed specifically with the GTR in mind (with Litchfields) don't enhance the ride or the wet weather capabilities compared with the stock runflats?

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
It's all subjective buddy.

My car was developed by Mr Nissan who went to Mr Bridgestone and asked them to produce a tyre capable of handling the extreme cornering forces that the car could generate. A run flat tyre was developed for a good number of reasons, one of them being the strength of the side wall for such forces and the other because the car would not have a spare tyre or a space saver.

Yes, technology has moved on in 5 years, but just because it***8217;s new doesn***8217;t mean it***8217;s better!!

And to be without a run flat on a car such as this in my humble opinion is madness.

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
You know that the sidewalls are reinforced in the MPSS right?

and they have been used on track?

and tyre weld and compressors packs exist for this very reason?

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
And back to my original point about having a car such as this on a non-run flat tyre with no spare etc. Yes, you could carry some tyre weld and put that in and bugger up the TMPS etc. and then the tyre has to thrown away, no matter how new or old it is and you will have to purchase a new one etc As I say just my opinion on the whole ***8220;lets run a car designed with a run flat tyre, on a non-run flat tyre, would you run it without the bonnet fitted to allow better cooling ?

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Not all tyre weld buggers up your tpms.
But you should / have to throw away the tyre after the gunk has contaminated the inside of the tyre!

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Because no one but Nissan main dealers have the contract to sell them, so Nissan can continue to rip off the mugs who refuse to consider other possibly better options.
Well again I wouldn't buy anything from Nissan (except the car) as they have a habit of ripping your arms and legs off!!!

You lot keep buying the other non-run flat derivatives of the RE070 cos that will leave a surplus of the tyre I like and prefer for me !!!

It’s a win, win situation (for me) don’t call me if you get a puncture though !

1 - 20 of 39 Posts