GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peeps,

Hope I'm in the right section, but does anyone know the workings of the passat 1.9 se turbo diesel car. Problem is I,m having with mine is that uphills she looses power so I have to change down the box. It's been like it about 3 months now.On the motorway it cruises well, it's just when turbo is needed up hills etc. Car is a 99 (T) and I don't use it a great deal unless on a long run. There is no smoke from exhaust. Without taking it to main dealers where they see £££££s before their eyes on seeing us drive in. Would appreciate any advice.

jamie

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
A common problem on the later TDi Ford Galaxy's (VW Sharan in essence) was that the Air-Flow-Meter, or AFM/MAF, would start to wear out, and the car would suffer from the same symptoms that you describe (sluggish up hills).

You're looking at a £50ish fix, if that's what it turns out to be, and it's so simple to fix even if you're not mechanically minded (bolts onto the airbox with a couple of screws.

If it does turn out to be the AFM, make sure you get the exact same Bosch part number to replace it with. Oh and make sure it's brand new and that it works.

Hope that helps?:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that steve. Had a price for the maf sensor from autoquip. Bosch is £225. and an aftermarket one is £80. both have a 12 months warranty. Have to go for the cheaper one as I need 2 tyres for my v spec.

Thanks. Jamie.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I don't know where you got your prices from, but the VW dealer sells it for less than £60 exchange.

Euro Car Parts and the like are even cheaper!!!

That £255 price is like around 2 years old, when they first started failing, and later on the VAG clocked on, and started doing exchange items. Was around £90 till around a month ago where it has dropped to £60 odd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts