• whatever's lying around in the garage

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
After loads of talk about oil I got some Texaco Halvoline 5W 40 on saturday to didnt get a chance to do an oil change as springs an de-cat pipe were fitted instead ;o)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Castrol Formula RS it's called.

I've got a spec sheet in front of me; be happy to post it BUT it's in Dutch. And that's sort of an exclusive language for a large minority... :D ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have no idea what people in ausie and new zealand is getting but i'm pretty sure that syntec is what its called over here

·
Registered
507 Posts
oil?

used Havoline as full history from middlehurst's, but last change i got some silkoline off rod bell since thats what he uses and recomends.
seem's pretty good upto now, (approx extra 8psi oil press when hot).

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I

was told yesterday that Castrol RS Racing Syntec 10 W-60 destroys turbo's on Porsche Turbo engines. And I don't mean standard engines here but the 1000 Nm+ kind (that's about 740 foot pound cow stone or whatever that's called in the UK). They use Mobil 15W50 synthetic oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oils

Porsche now recommends Mobil 1 0w40. There was some problem, possibly with the variable valve lift mechanism(?), with the 15w50 Mobil 1. Castrol syntec is not really a full synthetic. It comes from "highly treated petroleum based stock." There was a lawsuit in the US about whether it could be called "synthetic". Castrol won the lawsuit.
Here is the current (March 2003) approved US oils for Porsche:
Castrol Syntec 5w50
Mobil 1 0w40 and 5w40
Texaco Havoline Formula 3 synthetic 5w40
Valvoline Syn Power 0w40 and 5w40.
Porsche recommends oil changes every 15,000 miles. However they have a 9 quart dry sump.
I think BMW also now recommends a lighter weight synthetic than previously.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Royal Purple for me too.

Running the racing 41 in my gearbox at the moment and it's solved a lot of problems, i/e no crunching between 1st and 2nd when cold and no crunching between 3rd and 4th at full chat.
The gearchange also feels more slick as well.
I'll be putting the same stuff in my engine in a week or so.

Jez

1 - 20 of 40 Posts