GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my Phoenix Power kit today - a 30 min job. Thought I would post some pics to go aong with the tanslated instructions provided by Newera who supplied the kit.

Here goes...

Before starting this simple wiring task you will need:

(a) A pair of wire snips or if this is not available – a sharp Stanley knife with which to cut 3 wires as detailed below.

(b) Some double sided tape to secure the Phoenix’ Power 4 Tail light box to a dry location (I used velcro)

(c) A small wrench to remove a nut for earthing.

(d) Suitable tools for removing the securing trim (flatblade screwdriver)

Note that the ignition key should be removed and the lights not switched on till installation is completed.

There are 4 pages of Japanese instructions supplied with the Phoenix 4 tail light kit. Fitting is easy if you follow these translated.

instructions:

(1) First carefully remove the clips securing the rear trim of the boot and locate the connector box for the passenger side tail light unit.

(2) Undo the connector and you’ll see there’s a black corrugated covering as shown in picture on page 2.

(3) Unwrap the cable cover (wrapped in black tap) to gain access to: green wire with yellow stripe & green wire with purple stripe. It’s important these wires are located and not confused with any others.

(4) Referring to the photo on page 2, cut the Green/Yellow wire 3cm from the connector box. Now referring to picture on page 3, you’ll see a connector marked as (4) on the Phoenix Power Harness. Crimp this connector to the short end of the green/yellow wire.

(5) Now crimp the purple wire marked as no (5) of the Phoenix 4 light kit’s harness to the Green/Purple wire. Note the Green purple wire does not need to be cut. This purple wire merely connects onto it.

(6) Referring again to the picture on page 3 of Japanese instructions you’ll see one of the connectors on the Phoenix Harness marked as (6). You will need to crimp this onto the other end of the Green/Yellow wire which was cut earlier.

(7) Now gain access to the connector box for the driver’s side tail light unit. Unplug this – and gain access to the wires as before, by unwrapping the black corrugated covering.

(8) 3 cm from the end of the connector box, cut the green and yellow wire. Now wrap some insulating tape around the short piece, as this wire will now become redundant.

(9) Referring to the picture on page 3, crimp the connector marked as (9) in the picture to the long end of the green/yellow wire you’ve just cut.

(10) Using a wrench – remove a suitable nut attached to a metal part and attach the black wire (earth) onto the body of the car.

(11) The installation’s wiring modification is now complete. To be sure, double check you’ve connected everything correctly.

(12) The Phoenix’ Power 4 tail light box should now be attached via the grey plug & be secured to the rear panel in a dry area with double sided tape or velco. Reconnect the connector box for each light cluster also.

(13) Switch on the lights and there will now be 4 tail lights on instead of the previous two. When you press the brakes the two inner tail lights will illuminate as before. Test to see if the Hazzard lights have any effect on the tail light’s intensity. If so, then the black earth wire should be connected direct to the black earth wire to one of the tail light clusters – to give a better earth connection – although this is usually not necessary to do if the earth you’ve connected to has good contact against the body of the car.

Simple!!

Will post some pics when it gets dark to show the full effect.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Ah, good write up Newera! :chuckle:

So what's to choose between this and the Zele if they do exactly the same thing and cost the same? Are Phoenix as well known and as high quality as Zele?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Nice fitting guide.

Personally if there is nothing between the 2 kits i would go for the Zele as it seems an easier plug and play instead of splicing into wires.

Still good to see other variations all the same.

Ben.........Hurry up with your kit !!! ;)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Does the Pheonix one light up all four lights under braking where as the Zele one only lights up the lights and just the middle two light up under braking.

Kp

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pics will be on tonight :thumbsup:

Can you PM me with the details for my wing... I am quite excited now!

BTW, I think the quality of the Phoenix Power unit is excellent... it is in a metal case (Alloy I think).. all the cables and connections top quality. I agree that cutting cables is a pain, but honestly it was a very simple job.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Couple of pictures of the lights at night.. not great, but give you an idea. Very bright :)

Looks great,I have the zele light kit which looks the same at the end result but for somebody like me who doesnt have a clue when it comes to hands on i would not look past the zele plug and play you cant get it wrong if you tried especially if their the same price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts