GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my first proper car on Sat, Fantastic.

97 GTR 33 non v spec
NISMO Clutch
Lightened Flywheel
Super Dragger plus down pipes
Abbey Chip running .8/.9 bar
Super powerflow induction kit

looks almost new inside and out - very very pleased with myself
:p

Spent most of the weekend volunteering to drive people places and laughing at the response when the loud pedal was pressed. Half the fun is being stared at in town. The other entertaining bit was sitting behind a couple of max power type 'hot hatches' as they raced away from some lights down a dual carriageway . the looks when you go past.

My only problem is that the cambelt service is due soon, and the petrol head side of my mind is telling me what better time than this to have more power added -

cams, hybrid or replacement turbos, APEX'I or HKS, ??? What am I to do and how much would 450bhp cost?? Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Iain
Very happy new owner
PS picked up a lot of good info from the forums over the last 2 months and hope to be able to contribute at some stage in the future

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Ian,

The good news is you have a few people near you for Saturday pub lunches etc. Guy R. lives near you and Sideways and myself can often be found in/around Woking at weekends.

Enjoy the car!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Congrats wsurfa! :)

On a side note, when should a cambelt be changed on a R33 GT-R? Whilst I am pretty sure mine doesn't need changing yet (only done 24k miles) from speaking to people it's not purely done on mileage, but also on age (mine is a 96/N).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Gents,

From memory the cambelt service is 60k or 4yrs which ever sooner, again I'd have check the service schedule to be 100%.

My cars just gone past the 4 yr mark but again it covered less then 20k.

Instinct says just get it changed.

Regards

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
get the cambelt

changed at 48k and don't delay. That is what abbey and middlehurst all recommend.
you won't regret it but you will if it lets go.
NLW

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Surely age is an issue as well? I can only assume the material degrades over time as well as over mileage. I'll get it checked out a.s.a.p anyway.

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
age v miles

I would imagine that a harder life at 1 bar is more to worry about than age. But a very hard life could mean it is stressed so worth thinking about.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Cam Belt

Best thing to do is just ask the garage if it needs changing next time you're there. As long as they are respectable (ie. Abbey) they wont tell you it needs changing unless it actually does.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Upgrades

I suggest you talk to Mark at Abbey before you consider doing any upgrades on turbos etc, because there are other aspects which will need to be changed at the same time...injectors..intercooler..cams..filters...re-mortgage the house...

john

·
Registered
172 Posts
New GTR

Hi Wsurfa

Only live 8 miles due south of Guildford, so must meet up some time. Good idea to at least ask about the cam belt - proper maintenance and checking is a must & it is worth it! Glad that you have a big grin on your face. After 6 months so do I:D

Rgds Ian W

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
First proper GTR

I'm glad you liked your GTR and you will find you will like it even more after you live with it for a while for they are truly spectacular cars ! Just take it easy for a while and ,if you can take it to a track day or two to learn what it does when pushed !

BTW what colour is it ?

As to the costs of everything ,it's best if you ring up a few of the tuners (find them under links ) and tell them what you want ,and hopefully they'll tell you how much THEY want ! :D I might have some cams for sale soon and also HKS turbos .

Ian W.
Oh well another Ian to get me even more confused. You all know what I'm like with names ! :)

Have you picked up your car from GT-Art yet ?Have you seen/heard your 'haust ?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Paul,

It's silver and has the pleasure of humbling two boxsters on teh way to work this morning

Cheers

Iain

·
Registered
172 Posts
New Xhaust

Hi Paul

Yes picked it up yesterday night:) Blinding drive home at night, pulls very well from 3000, magic at 4000:D . Truly super exhaust. Ta mate!! Gary's going to post before and after pics of the engine compartment on his website:smokin:

Hi Iain

Mine's silver too! We could be the Surrey Silver Skyliners - anyone can belong - as long as your name's Ian.

Hope to go to Bolney on the 16th, can you make it?

Rgds Ian W

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Silver

Good choice lads. SILVER is DEFINATELY the colour for a Skyline !:D ;) .(I'll take cover now for I'm sure the boys with the white ones are gonna start ! )

Just noticed the spelling of name Iain. Still pronounced the same as Ian ?:confused: ..Humbled 2 porkers already ,hmmmm nice but take it easy until you get used to it !

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bolney Meet

Will try and get there - hopefully will have had new cams and boost controller/new chip fitted by then, and be saving up for the new turbos :D

Hopefully us silver surfers will meet there.

cheers

Iain

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Bonnet

Hmm,looks nice John. I must say when I first saw a 32 I was not impressed with its appearence however they seem to be growing on me BIG time ! :D

I was wondering about you bonnet vent's did you put them on or were they on when you got the motor for they look nice ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts