GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It nearly didn't happen, but I'm now the owner of a 96 GTR V-Spec. It's got an exhaust, aftermarket air filters and maybe a chip.

It feels quick but it slightly concerns me that it doesn't feel shat yourself quick. That might have something to do with the fact that I had a ride in a 500bhp R32 in Japan recently. Now that was fast.

Slightly concerned about what seems like a worn syncro on 4th. Will have to speak with Middlehurst to see what they say. Hopefully different oil may help.

Took a couple of mates for a spin and they both just laughed when I gave it some beans and both said it was the fastest thing they'd been in. 1 of the fellas is used to fast cars and has done a bit of ralleying, so it must be quicker than I think.

Really pleased with it, it's a real beast and well balanced, just didn't realise you could go through optimax that quickly.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
lynchy said:
It nearly didn't happen, but I'm now the owner of a 96 GTR V-Spec. It's got an exhaust, aftermarket air filters and maybe a chip.

It feels quick but it slightly concerns me that it doesn't feel shat yourself quick. That might have something to do with the fact that I had a ride in a 500bhp R32 in Japan recently. Now that was fast.

Slightly concerned about what seems like a worn syncro on 4th. Will have to speak with Middlehurst to see what they say. Hopefully different oil may help.

Took a couple of mates for a spin and they both just laughed when I gave it some beans and both said it was the fastest thing they'd been in. 1 of the fellas is used to fast cars and has done a bit of ralleying, so it must be quicker than I think.

Really pleased with it, it's a real beast and well balanced, just didn't realise you could go through optimax that quickly.
Never never ride in a Higher HP car than yours and then expect to not feel let down. Especially a much lighter and smaller R32. I suspect your car is plenty fast...but probably doesnt seem so after the smaller R32!

Keep us updated on the car!!!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
lynchy said:
It feels quick but it slightly concerns me that it doesn't feel shat yourself quick.

Took a couple of mates for a spin and they both just laughed when I gave it some beans and both said it was the fastest thing they'd been in.
If you are a brave man and trusting of your mates then get THEM to take YOU out for a spin in YOUR car!!!
This is a great way to feel how quick it really is as it seems when you have no control over it it seems twice as powerfull :D

Congrats on joining the rest of us madmen
JAY

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't think I'm quite ready to let any of my mates drive it yet, at least not on anything with a bend.

Mentioning bends, the way it goes round them and kind of kicks it tail out is pretty cool. I think I'll have to get a bit of track time to improve my skills.

Anyway after today I think I might have to take some of the previous comments back. I had thought I seemed to be going quicker than the speedo indicated and then fitted my Roadpilot which proved it. The speedo just seems to be very slow to react. Had a bit of a blast in it today, it just made me smile and TBH it's plenty fast enough. I'm very glad I got it.

Girlfriends not so impressed and says it's a boy racers car, it's ugly and she'd be embarrassed to go in it. Oh well, she can drive in future, save my petrol. I think she's just a bit jealous cos I like the car more than her!!!

Will have a bit of money in the future for mods, plus I'm going over to Japan quite often at the moment. Should be over there in about a weeks time. Whats the best place to start WRT mods? It's already got an exhaust and induction. Maybe a power FC, it'd fit in the case no probs!!

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers fellas, nice to be onboard, hope the ride isn't too too costly.

Bean, I got the car that I had my doubts about after all. Would have definitely imported my own if this one hadn't worked out but after weighing up all the pros and cons took the easy option and picked up this one at a re-negotiated price. By the time you've payed 2-2.2million yen FOB for the car plus all the other costs, plus an alarm when it arrives, probably a stereo as well then this seemed to be reasonable proposition, plus of course I didn't have to wait 3 months for it. BTW I'll be over in Japan in about a week or so and could be in the Tokyo area for a bit. If you fancy I'll buy you that beer.

Next thing is to sell my other car, but gotta take loads of bits off it, before I do so. It's a 328 BMW with a supercharger plus different inlet manifold and throttle bodies. Hopefully get it back to stock today and get it sold once I'm back from Japan. Wish it was as easy to sell a car as it is to buy one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Alright lynchy, glad you're liking the car, I was truly saddened to see her go, but knowing she's in a good home makes me feel better (I know I'm just lying to myself here to make myself feel better). Unfortunately the new house has made me sell her and I'm sure you'll have as good a time driving her as I did!

Blueskygtr is right, if you really wanna feel how fast she is, just try sitting in the passenger seat whilst someone else drives you about, when you dropped me off home after you bought it it felt mosterously faster than when I'm in the drivers seat! Speaking of the drive home, make sure that when you're booting the car in the future you use the full range of power, only change gear about 7000rpm and make the change as quick a possible so that the power is put on without dropping the revs too low, between 4000 and 7000 rpm the car is at its best.

I hope you have many years of happy motoring in the car, I know I did, and as I said, if you've got any questions then feel free to contact me.

Skymania, if you're after pics, they're still hosted on my own website www.paulmcnally.net

Regards,

Paul

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Paul,

cheers mate. I am loving the car, just hope it doesn't get me into too much trouble. Living in North Wales with the local constabularies attitude towards speeding and owning a Skyline GTR is not conducive to a clean licence. Might have to get meself one of those Laser Jammers.

I might get in touch about the alarm, had a bit of a strange one today. Trying to disable the alarm and managed to start the car. Hadn't realised it had remote starting and can't quite work out how to do it again. Lucky I'm not someone who leaves it parked in-gear.

Cheers mate, hope the house move is going well and you've got that fridge now.

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
568 Posts
Nice one mate.... it'll give you big fuel bills, but the smiles will be worth every penny!

lynchy said:
Girlfriends not so impressed and says it's a boy racers car, it's ugly and she'd be embarrassed to go in it.
My other half said the same when i got my R32.... Take her sideways round a couple of "safe" corners and watch her grin like a cheshire cat!! :D :D

(not that i agree with that kind of driving :p )

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TBH I don't think taking the girlfriend round a couple of corners sideways would have quite that effect. I think I'd be more likely to get a right hander than a grin like a cheshire cat :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts