GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I’m just doing a transmission fluid change on my GTR - does anybody know where I can buy the TSB clips that sit on the gear change pistons - makes sense to put them in and I’m going to be replacing filters and hence will virtually be at the valve board?

Also pointers on where I can get a kit with gasket, filter, and fluid would be great too - saves me having to buy them individually !!!

I’m based in the UK.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I think all the big trades sell the clips,Ac speedtech, litchfields.

Gasket from dealers

Genuine filters from jacks transmissions or dodson From litchfields, jacks sell the longer pan bolts as well.

Fluid from Opie or such like, think the common ones are ff4,millers,motility

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Hi,

I’m just doing a transmission fluid change on my GTR - does anybody know where I can buy the TSB clips that sit on the gear change pistons - makes sense to put them in and I’m going to be replacing filters and hence will virtually be at the valve board?

Also pointers on where I can get a kit with gasket, filter, and fluid would be great too - saves me having to buy them individually !!!

I’m based in the UK.

Thank you :)

AutoTorque in Aylesbury supplied me a set at a great price with next day delivery.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brilliant, thanks both.

Also when people talk about cleaning the “solenoids” I’m assuming they mean the pistons that move the shift forks and not the actual solenoids that control the fluid that goes into the pistons?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I f your wanting to get more involved you could clean the entire body and put stops in.

I suppose it comes down to how brave you are, but there’s plenty of YouTube vids to assist you on your way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mate - I’m quite handy on the diy stuff - just need to find a video on how to install the gear stops - anything I can do to make it as strong as possible seems sensible!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Thanks mate - I’m quite handy on the diy stuff - just need to find a video on how to install the gear stops - anything I can do to make it as strong as possible seems sensible!
Heres some pics to how far you need to go to clean valve body

Attachments

·
Registered
2,631 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
There are 2 filters, the pan one (very expensive) and the dodson cleanable one, I would get from Litchfields

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are 2 filters, the pan one (very expensive) and the dodson cleanable one, I would get from Litchfields
That’s some excellent work there - the bar has been set!!!

It looks as if I don’t have to dismantle the electronic solenoids to clean inside them (not the pistons but the solenoids which control the fluid)...?

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
That’s some excellent work there - the bar has been set!!!

It looks as if I don’t have to dismantle the electronic solenoids to clean inside them (not the pistons but the solenoids which control the fluid)...?
No the solenoids stay as one but they have 2 orifices that you spray aerosol brake cleaner into until you can shake and get the ball bearing in an aerosol sound, bank on a case of brake cleaner and make sure the small lobster pot filters are clean (in the red aerosol lid) unfortunately to be 100% efficient you would need to drop trans and remove pump and do the same to that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No the solenoids stay as one but they have 2 orifices that you spray aerosol brake cleaner into until you can shake and get the ball bearing in an aerosol sound, bank on a case of brake cleaner and make sure the small lobster pot filters are clean (in the red aerosol lid) unfortunately to be 100% efficient you would need to drop trans and remove pump and do the same to that.
Thanks mate, that is very helpful - really appreciate your help :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have now cleaned everything - one thing I did was to also check each solenoid clicked when 12v is applied, every single one clicks apart from the two big ones which sit behind the row of four on the outer edges.

Should they also be clicking ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have now cleaned everything - one thing I did was to also check each solenoid clicked when 12v is applied, every single one clicks apart from the two big ones which sit behind the row of four on the outer edges.

Should they also be clicking ?

Scrub that - user error, everything is spot on !!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry just two quick questions...

The solenoids sit on top of ball bearings in the valve board - does anybody know which way round the cover on the ball bearing goes? There is a flat side and a side with raised bits on - should the flat side be facing down and the side with ridges facing upwards so the solenoids sits on top of that?

Also, if I wanted to do a very quick check of the transmission to check if error codes have gone (so where you do the ‘change gears for 5 secs’ thing with the car stationary) rather than putting in £160 of FFL-4 can I use generic ATF fluid (about £40!) for 10 mins to check if any error codes are gone - and then if all ok drop the fluid and replace with FFL-4 (all before I actually drive the car on the road)?

Constantly dropping all the trans fluid to do some checks is costing quite a bit!

Thank you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts