GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Over Xmas I bought a Pioneer 503HDE (50") for £7400 inc.vat (list price £12500)

Like any technology, if you wait, you can buy better for cheaper.. but then you'd never buy anything !

I had done days, perhaps weeks of research on these things.. The reasons I bought this particular plasma was for the following reasons:-

1. It's 50" (I already had a 48" rear projection TV and couldn't justify spending the extra money on a smaller 42" screen)

2. The Pioneers don't have fans, making them silent.

3. The Pioneers have 900:1 contrast ratio, making blacks, really black etc.

4. The underlying screen resolution is 1028x768 .. while not the best I've seen is better than most which are usually 800x600

5. It is designed for home use, and comes with a receiver box separately containing sockets for SCART / Component / Composite / S-Video etc. etc. .. Many Plasmas are really aimed at the business world and don't have built in TV tuners (not a big deal) but also require signal leads from components running to the screen itself rather than the receiver.

6. The Pioneers screen life is estimated to be 8yrs (assuming 8hrs a day 365 days a year usage) , which is far more than many others.

BTW: The picture is razor sharp... Like night and day.. I've wired up a permanent net connection + PC into the cinema room too, which makes surfing a lot of fun !

I'd be happy to demo if if you're interested.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Demo etc.,

Dear Geezajob

Ooooh might just take you up on that. Are you going on Monday 8th ;) . Also where did you get yours from ?

I do know what you mean about waiting. I might never buy one. Their are some good deals around at the moment and I did have a R/P Panasonic W/S 47" so maybe dropping to a 42" might not be right but I'll have a better idea when I've seen 'em :confused: .

Guy told me a good shop where I can view quite a few at the same time so will probably do that this Saturday.

Could you get me some prices please Luke.

Thanks for the input again. What a superb response I've had on this thread from a superb bunch of guys. Thanks :eek: .

glen

·
Registered
264 Posts
I bought mine from LEConcepts (http://www.leconcepts.com/plasma/plasma.htm)

Once I'd found WHICH Plasma I wanted, I then spent days trying to find it the cheapest etc. These guys were by far the cheapest.

Their website isn't the best, but that's because they're more of a high street shop, than an internet store (which means you have a real shop to return it to should anything go wrong)

I also ordered a Mission Centre speaker from them.. they unfortunately didn't deliver it when I asked them to so they let me have it (£80-90 of speaker) for free !

Beware that you don't buy one on price.. I was initially attracted to Plasmas by an advert on Dabs.com for a £2500 42" plasma, but when I looked into it, they had fans, poor resolution, poor contrast etc. etc.

Those I've spoken to with fan-plasmas complain about their whirring. Avoid if you can.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Oh, I've noticed Pioneer have launched a 42" version of the 50" technology (as seen on LEConcepts site) for £5500

The other thing about the Pioneer screens is that they're 100hz, which greatly reduces the flicker more noticeable at a distance.

Go here to see the Pioneer site of the technology

http://www.pioneer-eur.com/purevision/

·
Registered
264 Posts
At the time of research, the 61" screens were circa £13,000 and I couldn't really justify that

How much are they now DCD ?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Glen, there is a very good hifi/av store in Coventry called Frank Harvey, theyre relatively cheap and you cant get full demos etc. http://www.frankharvey.co.uk/

While your down here you could take me for a spin too ;) Just kidding, but they are a very good shop. Plus you also get the chance to ogle the Tag Mclaren range :D

Rob

·
Registered
326 Posts
All this talk is nearly talking me into getting one, I think I will get one when I move into my new place as a present to my self. Especially becasue they have come down in price quite a bit since I last looked, those sites are exellent.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Frankharvey

Damn I can't get in their site :( .

Will try later Rob, cheers.

glen

·
Registered
961 Posts
what about a decent prjecter and screen!!!
arnt they any good

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Yeah - some of the latest, `true widescreen`, projectors are really good :cool:

But you`ll be amazed what a good quality screen will cost:eek:

·
Registered
961 Posts
the projecters screen size i huge and is verriable i think!

but i am not sure what there like with well lite rooms!

·
Registered
627 Posts
LCD Projectors

I use an LCD projector in work for quite a lot of presentations and in a darkened room on the right surface they are great, when the blinds go up they fade away.

Plasma has always been the preferred display of choice for me.

Rgds
Andy

·
Registered
961 Posts
mind u if u the active kind
and arnt in in the day then the projecters arnt bad !

·
Registered
264 Posts
I erred against a projector because you really need a dark room to make the most of it. Good for films etc. but not for just watching TV idly on a Saturday afternoon.

Also, I wanted to hook up my PC to it, and need a razor sharp image (otherwise I get headaches).

YMMV

·
Registered
961 Posts
what i like about the plasmas is u can watch two things at one
split screen
not sur if its all of them!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've not seen a 16:9 CRT TV split a screen 50:50 (but am happy to be corrected)

It's very useful being able to watch TV and use the PC in a vertical split 50:50 on such a large screen.

·
Registered
961 Posts
i know u can get them so they put a littel screen in the corner

even some old vcrs can do that

21 - 40 of 87 Posts