961 Posts
anyone got b&w's
or nad

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Spot on Dino

B&O use other manufacturers internals, their TV's tubes are Phillips, with their own little add ons. What you are paying for extra is the asthetics that are really nice though.

Wouldn't really consider BOSE. Last time I checked they didn't use Dolby technology just something of their own doing. Not saying its bad, and as Paul mentioned for small rooms its superb, but prefer the mix and match route.

Don't know about form before function. What I do tend to buy is something that is pleasing to my eye, not just because I should have or follow a particular trend, and also that compliments everything else around it. Some places I have seen have looked so mismatched but sound brilliant. Just have to find the correct balance really I suppose.

Don't want to say that Plasmas are bad, cause they aren't, but as mentioned earlier in this thread am going to wait until the next generation comes through and then goes down in price. What I'll probably do is buy a 32" - 37" just to watch TV on and then pull up the screen infront of the Plasma for 'Blockbuster Movie Time' :D .

See Ya.

glen

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
I was amazed to see a Hitachi Woo 32" plasma for 350,000Yen last week end. This is the best deal I've seen....top quality too!
Glen....your plan sounds good to me

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
now to the noise !!

what decoder / amp / speakers then Glen ?

A man with your taste should consider the Nautilis series from B+W... they are well cool...

however if paying more for one speaker then for the rest of your set up is not ideal I can recommend Tannoy speakers, with a DTS decoder possibly built into an amp..

I have tannoys all round with 3 foot tall floor standers at the front and smaller (but equal power handling) at the rear. with the MXC centre speaker.

IMO it needs a sub though to get the really nice rumble associated with good explosions. I drive the speakers with a sony strdb930 (dolby 5.1 +DTS)amp which spits out 110W per channel and rattles all of the windows at about 11 o clock on the volume dial !!

The sound of the system is what really brings a home cinema to life.. I use a toshiba 40" rear projector TV which is really sharp even when sitting close to it. :D

have fun..

/Steve

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Surely 7.1 THX ultra is the way to go! There are a few nice amps around with this new standard. Have a look at this site

http://www.homecinemaheaven.com/avamps.htm

For speakers I really have to agree on the Nautilus range. I have had the pleasure of listening to them many times and they are simply amazing....given you use a decent amp & system! I would go for the 803s...which are still affordable. Leave the 801s and 802s for studios;) For a home surround sound you would need 5-6 pre-ams though....pushes up the price!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hi Dino,

That is a good link, the prices seem quite good.

So what is the speaker config for 7.1 centre front +rear, or centre sides ?

do they set this up with a 5.1 amp and a surround amp or are they integrated ? (this is how a lot of people get the centre rear without buying silly priced amps..I think.)

For the ultimate I have read about some thx approved set ups where you just basically sit in a ring of speakers, cool....

never actually listened to the Nautilis speakers but all of the audio mags rate them.

/Steve

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I think the 7:1 setup has two extra left and right speakers behind the main left and right... to add more depth, but Im probably wrong, cos then there isnt a centre rear...
They should be seperate channels from a dedicated 7:1 decoder... THX ES or DTS ES i think are the two supported formats...
But dont quote me on this!!!!

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
7.1 is 2 fronts, 2 sides and 2 rear + the sub. I heard a demo a while back of a Marantz system using B&W 803s and 2 B&W subs. Quite impressive to say the least...and so was the sound.
The best amp I've seen for a 7.1 system is made by a small US company. I cant remember the name(still looking for a link), but it pumped out 400W x channel!! :eek:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Glen already has a decent enough set up I reckon, Glen?

B&O use Hitachi Tubes and electronics.

A 7.1 "speaker" (I say speaker, cos there is no 7.1 system, only 6.1 DTS) set up consists of the following:

Front Left and Right
Centre
Side Left and Right
Rear Left and Right
Subwoofer

Whist we're on the subject, here's a did you know for those of you into the THX systems, until the advent of THX EX, there was no rear speakers, just sides.

Personally, if money was available, I'd go for the following:D

Theta DAVID II DVD Player
Lexicon MC12 Processor
Parasound or Bryston Amplifier
Miller & Kreisel S-150P Front Left, Centre and Right
Miller & Kreisel SS-150THX Tripole x 2 pairs for Sides and rears
Miller & Kreisel MX-5000THX x 2 Subwoofers.

and then throw in a nice Lutron lighting system, Crestron touch screen controller, Runco CRT Projector, a Stewart Filmscreen and be done with it:D

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Good setup hope the Screen and projector are both THX aproved!...

youd need a nice big room for that!!

whats wrong with the lexicon controler... totally customisable touch screen... excellnt build quality.. lurvely!!!!

oh... B&O use Phillips tubes with thier own electronics... when I changed my case.. I looked... :)
B&O also recomend Lutron for automation as an addition to thier lighting system
:)

its all good s*ite!!!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I think it depends on the age of the B&O. All the stuff I've seen go through our service dept lately has been Hitachi, but I don't doubt they've used Philips too. Loewe TV's use Philips tubes and video mechs too.

The Lexicon 700T Controller is good, but nothing when compared to a Crestron. Then again, £1700 ish against £5000 is a fair difference in price!

The 700T uses infra red and unless you hard wire it in (which doesn't make it portable) it has no feedback from the components, which makes programming it to do Macro's (multiple functions from one button push) a pain in the arse, as the unit doesn't know the state of the equipment it's controlling. The Crestron has a colour screen, works by RF and uses a separate unit which is wired to all the components it needs to control. This way, when you push one button to start a sequence of events, for example to Switch projector on, turns lights down, switch DVD on, change processor to DVD input, set volume to a set level, bring screen down, it knows if the dvd player is already on and so won't bother with that command. The Lexicon would automatically send the command for the player and it would switch itself off instead, thus ruining the whole program and defeating the object of the controller.

Hope that wasn't going on too much, but thought you might like to know:D

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Blimy! I didnt realise the Lexicon was that limited...! Ive never used it, and to be honest id not really heard ot the Crestron, I just used assumption! Even the remote off my Kenwood (KRF-9992D-THX) did two way communication and handled macros well and thats a fraction of the price! It couldnt dim my lights, (when you switch off a B&O LC2 it dims then gos off, so wasnt too much of a problem.
You fix audio?? the kenwood has had a few problems... :D

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Well I've looked at Fujitsu today...

...Not intentionally, but there is a promo at work (a financial org, nothing to do with home cinema), and for £3.5k I can buy a Fujitsu 42" Screen, Yamaha Amp, Speakers & DVD Player... I'm seriously tempted now despite everything else I wrote!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Re: I'll second that

T9KYO said:
Dan is top man when it comes to Home Cinema :D .

glen
Anyone else get the impression Glen wants something? ;)

(PS, switch your phone on and I can get through mate :D, I'm off on Wednesday) Will buzz you today (by the time you read this).

61 - 80 of 87 Posts