GTR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I used the plastigauge to measure oil clearance for my con rods last night "im using eagles now"

readings were like the following :
in mm
no.1 0.038
no.2 0.038
no.3 0.038
no.4 0.025
no.5 0.025
no.6 0.025

all using my old bearings which were :

no.1 std1
no.2 std0
the rest are all std 1

so I guess the best thing to do is go with :

std 2 "1.503-1.506 oil clr : 0.021-0.40" for cylinders 1,2,3 "to tighten the gap"
std 0 "1.500-1.503 oil clr : 0.020-0.039" for cylinders 4,5,6 "to loosen "

Just want to double check ..a little feedback please

For the mains I'm using 4x std 3 and 3x std 4 "According to the table"

note: My crank has never been grounded

thanx

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
dont mess around with this, speak to abbey if they are out of spec

hope this helps

the bearing grades on the mains, crank and rods have been noted and ordered to spec, i had the crank checked whilst i was having the block bored but i would still like to check it with plastigauge

the bearings are fitted to the block, mains and rods but without oil!

you want to cut a slither of the stuff so its slightly shorter than the jounal itself, do this to all of the mains journals on the crank with the crank placed in the engine awaiting the girdle

now fit the girdle with the plastigauge in situ being careful not to knock it off, torque up the bolts in the correct fashion and then dis-assemble it all again to measure and then remove the plastigauge

measurement is real easy with the bit of card they supply, you just match the size of the "splat" it makes on the crank with a splat on the card lol

the stock clearance is just under 2 thou, max clearance is 3.5 thou, all of mine came up at around 2.0-2.1 so well within clearance

mains bearings cleaned and oiled ready for the crank to be finially fitted

mains offered up to block just prior to crank install

crank and mains fitted

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I'm talking about con rod bearings ... mains should be fine if the table is used and should be within spec if the crack was never touched ..

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
yes, i know, its the same thing mate, didnt have the conrod ones to hand which is why i said call abbey, you cant be too careful and you really dont want to do anything just because "someone on the net said so"

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
wouldn´t check the bearing size with old bearings,because if they are worn a little,your measurment is not accurate;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wouldn´t check the bearing size with old bearings,because if they are worn a little,your measurment is not accurate;)

My bearings looked in good shape...but ur right too !

The dealer doesn't sell any rb26 parts here..so :(

The difference between the con rod bearings is tiny anyways

1 - 7 of 7 Posts