GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who on here actually has fully legal number plates?

Reason I ask is I've been stopped twice now for my "custom" plates, which aren't italics or anything like that, they're fully readable - the front one is sized exactly to fit the recess (not full U.K width which would cover the N1 inlets).

First time I was stopped I was given a fixed penalty, second time (last night) I was told that if I was seen around again with the same plates on I would get an instant court summons for, quote, "taking the piss".

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Obviously Im looking at my options now - a full width UK numberplate would be much wider than the slanted recess at the front and would just end up bowing (and thus looking crap).

Back one I can get away with because its legal for Japanese/American cars to use motorcycle size/font (13" x 7") on the back. Not sure if it definitely has to be 2-row though..

Comments?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Well I've recently acquired my R33.

And what I did was make a normal width number plate using the newer smaller fonts and then cut to size.

As I have a private plate Rxx xxx it was possible for me to cut the ends off and fit perfectly in the front recess.

This way I'm using the legal font but not the correct length of the plate. Whether this is legal or not is another Q.

With the back, again same thing and got rid of the holder aswell.

But I guess if you have a proper plate then there is no way you can use the legal car font and place it on the car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Number Plates

This was posted on Japukmeets at the beginning of June so it might be worth contacting the DVLA agian to see if its progressed any further. Anyway it might be worth keeping a copy in the car to show plod.

Kevin

This was however the response from the DVLA.

> Customer Enquiry Vehicles ([email protected]) wrote:
>
> Thank you for your e-mail.
>
> With regards to your enquiry, our Vehicle Policy department have been
> progress chasing for an update on the said consultation.
>
> I can now confirm, to date, there is no further information available.
> Please find below, the current wording from our Policy department :
>
> The Government has announced its intention to provide an exemption for
> vehicles imported into the United Kingdom and constructed in a way
> that means they are unable to display a standard size number plate.
> The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency has conducted a consultation
> into the display of the "motorcycle" size character on number plates
> for these vehicles.
>
> The regulations will be amended in the near future. The police have
> been informed of the impending change.
>
> Whilst enforcement is a matter for the police, it seems unlikely that
> they would take prosecution for displaying the smaller size number
> plate in the short period before the regulations are amended.
>
> I trust this is of assistance.
>
> Regards
>
> Andrew Owen
> Customer Enquiries Vehicles

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent, thanks all (especially KevinR33 :))

If you've got a single number plate (eg. R1, R2, or something) or a plate with one or more 1's in (eg. N11 GTR) then you'd probably get away with both legal font size, spacing and margins. My car reg is Nxx xxx - and the numbers aren't 1, thus to fit it into the recess at the front and still keep it relatively legal I've worked out I would have to do the following:

Legal
Letter size: 50mm (W) x 79mm (H)
Spacing: 11mm between letters, 33mm between groups

Total (in my case):
Letters: 50mm x 6 = 300mm
Spacing: 11mm x 4 = 44mm
Group spacing: 33mm x 1 = 33mm
Margins: 22mm (11mm either side)

= 399mm

Now, working on the assumption I can probably fit a 360mm plate on the front, I would have to do something like the following:

Letters: 47mm x 6 = 282mm
Spacing: 9mm x 4 = 36mm
Group spacing: 30mm x 1 = 30mm
Margins: 12mm (6mm either side)

= 360mm

Hopefully this will still be relatively legal, and hard to spot.

Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I've just thought - if I can use motorcycle style font on the front (and it sounds like I can from that DVLA letter) - then I wont have to worry about "shrinkage".

Huzzah!

/me gets calculator out again..

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
The plate on my car is 86mm high× 356mm wide, has been since imported, never stopped.

The only query was from a traffic warden who being an old codger said he thought it a bit 'low to the ground' it is right on the legal limit, it is white but not reflective, as I drive an import I do have to display the BS143a on the plate, therefore it does not legally have to conform to the 'reflective paint'.

I have access to lasers and my plate is laser neutral at more than 40yds.

It is entirely legal.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Cheers Mycroft

356mm makes sense. I was just working it out using motorcycle fonts (44mm (W) x 50mm (H)) ...

Letters: 44mm x 6 = 264mm
Spacing: 10mm x 4 = 40mm
Group spacing: 30mm x 1 = 30mm
Margins: 22mm (11mm either side)

(The above spacing, group spacing and margins is fully legal for motorcycle style plates - not shrunk at all)

= 356mm

I'm guessing yours is the same or similar.

Am I right in thinking 86mm high × 356mm wide is BS143a standard for imported vehicles?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Simon said:
Durzel, you have in excess of 420bhp, when you see the blue lights, just put your foot down. They'll never catch you. :D

:smokin:
LOL it's funny you should say that, because for a split second I considered it last night but then I imagined "Police, Camera, Action" and the bloke saying "all because he wasn't driving with illegal numberplates". :smokin:

·
Registered
905 Posts
http://www.abgraphics.co.uk have a look at the Plates thing there IS some info there about the Law being changed for imported vehicles but I dont know how true it is..

Whats the problem with a smaller one on the front anyway???

I mean if a coppers chasing u, GATSOing you he does so from the back, or have they all got rubber knecks that are 20 ft long so they have to look at the front of the car cause there necks are too long......GO GO GADGET NECK......BOIIIINNNGG!!!!

DO THEY STORE IT IN THEIR HATS???

:D :D

JUST a thought sorry to any rozzers on the forum.....

Si

·
Registered
905 Posts
I Quote:

CARS DESIGNED FOR ROADS ABROAD OFTEN HAVE AN APETURE IN THE BUMPER
FOR A NUMBER PLATE THAT DOES NOT MATCH A LEGAL UK SIZE. IN THE PAST
MOTORCYCLE PLATES HAVE BEEN USED. INITIALLY THE DVLA ISSUED A
STATEMENT TO SAY THAT THIS PRACTICE WOULD NOT BE PERMITTED AFTER
SEPTEMBER 1ST 2001
HOWEVER ......... TRANSPORT MINISTER JOHN SPELLAR ANNOUNCED ON 31ST JULY THAT THE PRACTICE WOULD BE ALLOWED TO CONTINUE.

So your guess is as good as mine then...

SI

·
Registered
840 Posts
I thought that the point of the police cracking down on number plates, is for the purpose of GATSO Numberplate Identification. So why is having motorbike numberplates on a car any different to having a motorbike numberplate on a motorbike? or does this mean that motorbikes are able to get away with speeding, because the GATSO's can't read the numberplates? (me thinks not:rolleyes: :confused: )

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I think it's the Old Bill trying to be awkward.

I mean the only difference using the motorbike font is that they are smaller. They're not italic or anything and above all they are legal as used by the motorbikes

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think there's some confusion..

The plates I've got on my car currently use neither the motorcycle or the "normal" typeface, they're similar to Shins - if you've ever seen pics of his cars. They're not unreadable, they're not "Comic Sans" font ala boyracer cars, they're not italics. But they're also not strictly legal.

I am happy to use motorcycle font if that is going to do the job and get PC Plod off my back, but I need to know really what size front plate I can use. Mycroft mentioned his was 86mm high, which is less than the standard UK front number plate size - but if his plate has a British Standard one presumes its legal (I couldn't find the BS143a standard Mycroft, only BS AU 154a - the current standard for plates)

Given I will be commissioning a plate tomorrow that is 356mm wide, using motorcycle typeface size (44mm (W) x 64mm (H)) - should I go for the standard number plate height to be sure, or go with 86mm ala Mycroft? :(

Also, ideally I would like to have the rear plate with the registration all on one line, not two-row as per motorcycles. If I used the standard (legal) font size, spacing etc and did it across 1 row instead of 2, do you think there would be any complaint? (plate would still be the same width I think)

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Sorry, yes, BS154a, not BS143a.

I have M/C numbers on the front and 'New Spec' (y'know ** ** *** type) on the rear, both fill the space provided snugly and only a real nit picking SOB would make any sort of fuss.

Because of my reg. I have a non standard font on both, but you would need to really look hard to tell but from a slight distance it conveys exactly what I want!:smokin:

Lifes too short to get too anal about this, so don't go too far and you don't have to hold your breath when the filf are around!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Errr

Surely all motorbike plates are yellow? Can you get them made up for the front of your car in white?

Also, where can I get some bracketry that will allow me to tilt my plate so it sits facing outwards horizontally for "trackday air flow" ??

B&Q?

James

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ah so!

Thought it was prolly me being stupido!

I need a plate for my car now the GTR bumper is on! Want one that I can tilt to allow more airflow......yeah, that's it....more airflow :D

James

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mycroft said:
Sorry, yes, BS154a, not BS143a.

I have M/C numbers on the front and 'New Spec' (y'know ** ** *** type) on the rear, both fill the space provided snugly and only a real nit picking SOB would make any sort of fuss.

Because of my reg. I have a non standard font on both, but you would need to really look hard to tell but from a slight distance it conveys exactly what I want!:smokin:

Lifes too short to get too anal about this, so don't go too far and you don't have to hold your breath when the filf are around!
I totally agree. It wasn't a big issue for me until last night at which point I was told I was "a marked man" effectively. Basically if this particular Police officer sees me around again with plates he doesn't agree with, Im going to get a court summons no questions asked. Not something I am exactly looking forward to. :(

Mycroft: Do you have your reg in one line on the rear, or two-row like this:

:confused:

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
My rear number plate is all on one line.

Look cleaner and simple in my opinion.

You'll have to get rid of the bracket or hacksaw it off like I did.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.