GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the sound system installed in sat nav GT-Rs. I am considering buying an ipod in the sales ready for my car being delivered but just wanted to check what are the other alternative methods of playing MP3s in the car.

From what I understand I can either:

Plug in an ipod in the armrest (do I need any special cables for this?)
Insert a CD or DVD with a load of MP3s burnt on it

Are there any others? Can I use a USB memory stick/Compact Flash etc cards?

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Firstly you cannot load MP3s into the HDD of the AV unit, only cds (both cdrs and original pressed cds) which obviously have the music on them as CDMA (the format used on proper cds).

As for the ipod/usb players, I'll pass that onto somebody who has a sat nav car!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firstly you cannot load MP3s into the HDD of the AV unit, only cds (both cdrs and original pressed cds) which obviously have the music on them as CDMA (the format used on proper cds).
What I meant was mp3s that have been burnt on to a cd/dvd as mp3s - will the system be able to play these?

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Dont think so..

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I've maybe misunderstood, but even the non-nav car manuals says it will play CDs with MP3 on them IIRC? But it won't rip these to the hard drive I believe.

I only listen to Radio 4 anyway :eek:

·
Registered
167 Posts
'Plug in an ipod in the armrest (do I need any special cables for this?)'

No 'special cable' - Straight Ipod cable

'Insert a CD or DVD with a load of MP3s burnt on it'

Yes works fine.

'Others'

Put your mp3's onto a standard usb stick - I have a 32Gb version, it works brilliantly, all album art showing etc

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
My bad!

MP3's do work, just tried it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

I think RightKerfuffle's solution is the best - USB sticks are dirt cheap and I don't have to use iTunes this way :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
I'll tell you later as I didnt look at the MFD!

BTW, Gids and I are definitely up for another Welsh run....

Are you in Ed?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Can anyone who has a UK sat nav car advise if there is a card reader slot next to where you insert the cds? I believe that the US cars have this but was not sure if the UK cars had a USB port instead of the card reader...or both?!

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
US cars had CF card slot and ability to play from card.

Euro cars dont have this facility or accessible slot (although the card slot is actually behind the plastic cover would you believe, in non-nav cars anyway).

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
US cars had CF card slot and ability to play from card.

Euro cars dont have this facility or accessible slot (although the card slot is actually behind the plastic cover would you believe, in non-nav cars anyway).
Ok thanks! I guess we have the USB instead then.

With regards to the hard drive is it 30gb in total and the sat nav uses space on this - or is it 30gb available after sat nav is loaded etc?

·
Registered
167 Posts
30Gb to start, appx 9gb for you to use.

The system rips at a minimal rate 128 I think .. but then again the standard bose will not really expose the limited bit rate.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Any idea what the other ~21gb is used for?

sat nav it its fitted

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
30Gb to start, appx 9gb for you to use.

The system rips at a minimal rate 128 I think .. but then again the standard bose will not really expose the limited bit rate.
+1 on the bose system being useless and hence why they burn at 128 (or thereabouts 13? rings a bell for some reason)

All my mp3's at home are FLAC, VBR or 256+ hence i'm using an 8gig USB stick or two.

The only way music has ripped to my hard drive is when i was testing the system with Leftfield's Leftism CD and was left very disappointed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts