GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
do i need to use gasket sealant on the metal gaskets on the plenum and thottle bodies (ive got 6 small and 1 long gasket) or do they just go on as they are without any sealant and if they need sealant what kind is best for the job ? the gaskets have like a rubbery feel to them like they are coated in something (rubber maybe ? lol)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
The 6 small spectacle ones need no sealer. The long one is sometimes put on with extra sealant around the water jacket holes, if you do use a sealant then use geniune Nissan engine red. It's expensive but one of the best sealants I've ever used.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Cord said:
The 6 small spectacle ones need no sealer. The long one is sometimes put on with extra sealant around the water jacket holes, if you do use a sealant then use geniune Nissan engine red. It's expensive but one of the best sealants I've ever used.
That Nissan red stuff is great but very expensive. I have heard that Hermatite red is just as good (but not for the sump!)

Nik

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, much appreciated, im just on scraping all the old gasket off now, also i have loads of black carbon stuff around the round metal throttle flap things, does all this need cleaning out ? (i have an ultrasonic cleaner)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Not all of the black stuff is carbon. Around where the butterfly seals onto the bore there is a slim line of sealant painted onto the aluminium.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
NikWilson said:
That Nissan red stuff is great but very expensive. I have heard that Hermatite red is just as good (but not for the sump!)
Red Hermatite is ok. But I won't use anything but nissan red on any engine i build. I really think it is far, far better than anything else available. (flameproof coat / on)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cord said:
Not all of the black stuff is carbon. Around where the butterfly seals onto the bore there is a slim line of sealant painted onto the aluminium.
i wont ultrasonic them then cos it will perish the bit thats not carbon, il just clean them by hand carefully, thanks for everyones help, i would have damaged something without it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Is that true?

Does this mean that the throttle butterflies are zero clearance against the rubberized paint?

Then that explains the slightly fast idle I have been battling ever since I replaced my inlet gaskets. My t/b were all gummed up looking and I cleaned them before refitting...and cleaned off all the paint from the sounds of things...I guess .005 clearance X6 equals about +150RPM.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The red stuff is the nuts, its about £35 a tube but well worth it if used correctly.

But back to the original question, then no sealer is needed providing both of the mating surfaces are clean of old gasket and are flat and true.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
all done now, i just used a little tiny bit of sealer around the water ways, if i had a little ring of rubber sealant inside the butterfly things then its gone now lol, on the plus side the car seems much more responsive since i cleaned all the black stuff out of the butterfly things, my high idle speed (1200 rpm) has got even higher since i rebuilt it (1300 rpm now) but i dont really care as the car goes much better now,
if theres one thing worse than changing a plenum its having to do it again cos i left the small water pipe of the manifold (right after reading about someone on here doing exactly the same thing lol ) (so i guess that makes me a double dickhead)

·
Registered
916 Posts
I always use a tiny smear of Hylomar around water assemblies. If it's anything else I use Wurth black Silicon RTV.

That little water pipe at the rear of the inlet manifold should be replaced if it's showing the slightest bit of damage. You wouldn't want to do all that work again, just to replace a 3 inch length of 6mm hose now would you??

Regards

1 - 14 of 14 Posts