GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there are many questions about replacing batteries but i don't seem to be able to find out what i need to know (spent a number of hours searching through the forum)

I am about to pick up my new R34 on saturday, it's a fresh import and the battery is dead and wont hold a charge. Being helpful I told the dealer I would sort out a replacement as I had done for my old R33 but it seems the OEM R34 battery is much smaller that the R33 battery.

R34 original battery is 170 height (inc. terminals), 185 length and 125 deep.

Does it mean there is less space in a R34 (height)? or did they make it smaller just to save weight?

When I had the R33 I replaced with a 50Ah battery, the biggest that would fit and swapped the terminals over to standard euro spec terminals, I never had a problem again over the 3 years of owning the car.

I want to do the same on the R34 but i'm not sure what to buy because I don't know what space I have to play with.

Is there any chance somebody could post the size of the battery they have fitted to their R34? and model spec of battery etc?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I think the standard size is an 053 but you can get an 063 with a mod on the terminals as i have on my own R34 GTR. If you need to swap it at the road side or docks stick with the 053 but if you can get her home without any trouble then go for the larger size. It'll fit without any problems, you may need to remove your rear strut bar i you have one fitted.
I've just had a few cars arrive all with dead batteries. You will find that if you charge them for 3 or 4 days many will suddenly burst back into life. I saved 4 out of 7 batteries i thought needed changing :cool:
Dave.

·
Registered
439 Posts
There is plenty of space to fit a bigger battery in the R34
I fitted an Optima Red Top Type model 25 (sizes on thie site I am sure)
I did have to bin the small plastic tray that the OEM battery sits on as well as replace one of the leads as it was to short due to the teminals being swapped around on the new battery.
You will also have to replace the bracket as this only fits the OEM battery, there are however holes for the bar that connects to the bracket in the shelf.

You do know about having to remove the bracing in the boot to get to the battery??

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much everybody, I have bought a battery that should fit with some modification to the bracket and tray, I will post up the exact details if it all fits okay, otherwise I will have to make sure I don't turn the engine off until I get home!

Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts