1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help,

The issue in the thread I posted here:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?t=56288

Is getting much worse, the car runs perfectly but starting the thing is proving to be a nightmare, I have to turn the engine over for ages before it starts and then a load of black smoke comes out ofter taking a few seconds to reach idle revs :bawling:

This is happening every day I start my car,

What the hell is going on?????

Someone mentioned my AFMs or O2 sensors, Im not very technical (are these the same thing?)

If it could be these how do I take them off to clean them?
More to the point what do I clean them with?
They are r34 Nur AFMs so I doubt they are faulty

Could it be anything else? I'm gonna shoot off to the garage to put some esso sul in (I find that my car runs better on this stuff than optimax) maybe the optimax thats in there has lost a bit of it's octane rating???

Is it that my car is over fueling? Is there a leak?

Cheers in advance

Sev:confused:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi GTR RICH

I wish it were that simple the car had the afms on when I bought it and it had been mapped for the current spec,

It's been getting progressively worse over the past 6 months,

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Just pit £20 of esso sul, that stuff is great IMO

Any one else got any ideas?

A very confused Sev :(

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
The first thing to do is to try to see when it started happening - has it always been wrong just getting worse or did this just start to happen one morning.

It could be a bad starter motor sticking a bit or the battery could be knackered giving a bad spark before it is recharged.

It does sound like a sparking problem (black smoke is unburnt fuel), try either charging the battery overnight (if you disconnect it make sure the wheels are straight first) or even using a different battery first of all.

If that fails then try switching it off once it has started and see if it does the same thing straight away again.

The indicator for me is the fact it only happens after you leave the car sitting for a few days which nearly always the sign of battery or starter motor woes.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
nigel f said:
See Reply to your other post,

This sounds like Water temp sensor

Nigel
could well be, try pulling out the fuel pump fuse on cold starts (not that its that cold ATM :p ) and no right pedal, it will stall eventualy as the fuel in the rail goes dry, plug in the fuse and try again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts