GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i recently got a GReddy oil catch tank and was wondering where the best place to plumb it in would be. I've searched through some old threads and can't seem to find anything. Your help is as ever appreciated! :clap:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I'm assuming that the greddy has 2 ports?

Options are as follows:
2 port:
a. One feed from the cam covers and one used for atmospheric breather
b. One feed from the cam covers and one fed back into the induction pipe

Either way, these are the directions:

1. Remove the short hose which runs from the LEFT (n/s) cam cover breather to the induction hose. you need a 22mm rubber cover for the cam breather and a 18mm plug for the induction hose. Both should be clamped in place.

2. Remove the 'L' shaped hose which runs from the RIGHT (o/s) cam cover breather to the bypass valve on the balance tube (next to the fuel rail).
Blank the bypass valve with a suitable rubber cover (sorry, can't remember the diameter) and jubilee clip.

3. Connect a long hose (22mm inner diameter) to the RIGHT cam cover breather and then connect to your catch tank using a suitable adaptor.
like this:

Or, you can tee the two cam breathers together like this and remove the cam cover link hose:

4. On the catch can second port, connect either:
a. A small filter to atmosphere.
b. A hose back to the induction side (which i told you to blank off)
c. A hose to atmosphere, but this has the disadvantage of dripping on your drive.

Note:

Many people do not complete step one of these instructions and hence they never find any fluid in the catch tank (because all the vapour is taken to the induction pipe and not to the catch tank!)

I'd post some pics of my car setup, but right now my engine bay is empty!

Good luck

Ian

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Sorry for the hijack, but when would a catch tank be needed, and what does it prevent? (sorry for the stupid question)

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
So you can see whoflungdung has used an alternative method:

He's removed the short hose from the cam breather to the induction hose and replaced it with the tank and two hoses.

Whoflungdung - does your catch tank ever actually catch anything?

Ian

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Sorry for the hijack, but when would a catch tank be needed, and what does it prevent? (sorry for the stupid question)
ru' - there are several arguments, but here's mine.
In standard setup, the oil vapour which collects in the cam covers is sucked back into the induction side and burnt off in the cylinders.
By venting to atmosphere (you make the world a nastier place, but) you have a cleaner mixture being fed into the cylinder which burns better and therefore produces more power.

When your catch tank is vented to atmosphere you will often find that the contents of the can are emulsified oil (caramel coloured). This is because moisture (water) in the atmosphere reacts with the oil. This is completely normal.

Ian

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Cheers for the reply Ian. I have no catch tank, and when I boot it I'm getting a fair blast of smoke (which I am becoming increasingly paranoid about, lol). It's hard to see the colour out of the rear view, but it could be a bit blue, rather than the usual black unburnt fuel smoke.

Maybe it's the cold weather that makes it more obvious, I'm not sure.

Anyway, turbos are brand spankers so I doubt it's their oil seals. Could it be oil vapour being burnt due to not having a catch tank?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
On a healthy engine I would use the set-up that whoflung has used every time, but with a slight mod. I normally use a Cusco catch tank and it can be squeezed in near the ABS stuff to keep the hose runs nice and short. The way it is plumbed means any oil spat out will be caught in the can. And with the hose re-connecting to the inlet means you don't get any engine vapour smells when you stop at traffic lights.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or, you can tee the two cam breathers together like this and remove the cam cover link hose:

So far the hoses on the turbo side are blocked off at either end. The one on the inlet side is also blocked off. The hose at the rear left (inlet side) as you look at the bay goes to the catch can.

So where does the other hose from the other outlet on the catch can go to?

·
Registered
361 Posts
ok, for cleaner exhaust emmisions, which setup i best, vent to atmosphere from catch tank or plumb back to the intake from the catch tank?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Andy

Does the set up above work well? Also i'm trying to find out info on where people got the hoses and rubber bungs to block off the other parts.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
bump, ok, for cleaner exhaust emmisions, which setup i best, vent to atmosphere from catch tank or plumb back to the intake from the catch tank?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
bump, ok, for cleaner exhaust emmisions, which setup i best, vent to atmosphere from catch tank or plumb back to the intake from the catch tank?
hmm, tricky. i can't say for sure as i've never measured it, but for cleaner emissions i'd vent to atmos.
venting to the intake puts oil in the mixture which lowers the octane level.
My understanding is, the higher the octane level, the cleaner the burn......

If this question is regarding MOT test, then this won't help you pass.....this difference would be marginal. it's usually lambda sensors.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts

Best for the enviroment is back to intake so that the oil vapour and crank case fumes are burnt at a high temp and then delt with via the cat. As for cleaner emmisions, I doubt you would be able to tell the difference. (unless your engine is real tired with very big blow-by and chucking a lot of oil out)

1 - 20 of 172 Posts