GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few of my suspension bushes are starting to look tired and I am thinking of upgrading with some poly bushes or would i be better to get new stock ones from nissan?
I am not worried about ride comfort or such like just handling really as my car is a sunny day road car and a occasional track car.
Never had any of these bushes so just wondering what they are like?

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Changing tyhe bushes will most certainly increase the stiffness of the suspension, but you should also consider what you have today and whether you intend on changing this as well. If you have standard suspension and want something stiffer then, as your current bushes are worn, this will most certainly do that. But if you already have a stiffened suspension then you might find it would be too harsh. The trouble is, it's all down to personal choice and what one considers acceptable.

My car has a very stiff suspension set up and this was made even harsher after some Nismo parts brought back from japan last year. Added to that in July I changed all the bushes on the car from rubber to Nylon. This had a significant impact. It doesn't bother me as it's what I want and it's better for track use, but people who have been in my car say it's too stiff for them. As I said, it's all about personal choice.

I'm more than happy to show you what it's like and will be at Rockingham on the 29th November if you wish.

One other thing to bear in mind. It will make the car noisier. It's amazing how much rubber bushes absorb and replacing them with nylon means you get a lot more bangs and bumps in the car as the suspension moves about under load.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,
Thanks very much for an informative post.
I am running HKS Hipermax coilovers so have no plans to change them, I am also planning to up rate the sway bars in the near future. I know its hard to say but just how much diference did they make to the overall handling of the car?
I dont want a ride that will shake my teeth out so is there anything that is slightly uprated from the stock bushes like a kind of in between stock and race bushes?
Where can they be supplied at a reasonable cost?
Thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm a little confused here are we talking about polyurethane bushes or nylon? I have fitted poly bushes to previous cars that i've had and they sharpened the handling up, but I can't say I noticed that they were any harsher or produced anymore noise? I would imagine nylon bushes would make for a very unpleasent road car? I know some suppliers do varrying grades "poly sport" "poly race" etc. I thonk Thor can supply poly bushes? Ed

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
the ones that go from the front of the car (with the big bushes in) to the lower wishbones, From what I can tell driving mine before and after im getting quicker steering response and the front end just feels so much more secure.

Also the wheel base is slightly shorter (you can tell when you look at my front wheels in the arches) the handling was definitely improved by them.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hi ian the bushes I replaced were as described by mark, my steering was none too direct and when you look under the car there seems to be half the worlds supply of rubber bushes under there, I was up for changing the lot, but I was told these big ones (I know a lot about steering bushes) are the ones that everyone changes and it does make the steering responce much quicker. The original ones go soft and start to leak.
I have now had the steering geometry completely checked, tracking, toe in, the lot, and properly set up, this makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Myline,
Thanks for a great reply.

What do you mean start to leak?

Dont those mentioned bushes just stop the front wheel from moving under brakeing and will not affect the steering at all?

What type of bushes did you replace them with?

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.