GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've owned my 33 GTR for almost 2 years now and stupidly have ever refreshed the brake fluid despite one or two "moments" on track. As a result, the brakes have been gradually getting quite spongy to the point where I can almost get the peddle to the floor at higher speeds now without the ABS kicking in.

I've now flushed the whole system out with new Dot 5 fluid and bleed it correctly but the peddle still feels spongy with alot of travel during use.

Anyone got any tips?...Is there a set sequence to bleed the brakes.
What else could be causing this fault?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I had this problem untill we bled the ABS as well.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the ABS unit bled as a seperate piece then? How?

Dont get me wrong, the ABS does work but it seems excessively difficult to get it to even come close to cutting in.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
My Mechanic had some air in the system untill he bled the ABS. one or two of the nips on the top of the pump.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will have to have a look tomoz. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone got any other info?

·
Registered
330 Posts
You should start bleeding from the calliper furthest away from the master cylinder i.e. the rear nearside then work your way progressively closer, rear offside, front nearside, front offside then do the ABS.

I guess you will be using a non-return valve type bleed kit or similar? And make sure the fluid level never goes bellow min. on the reservoir.

It is a bit of a pain on these cars though, probably because of the multiple pistons in the callipers (more places for air to become trapped) as I've never had a problem with single piston callipers before.

I've had to bleed the brakes in sequence about 4 or 5 times before I managed to get all the air out, though you can re-use the fluid if it's been flushed through already a couple of times & is coming out clean.

Just keep at it you will get there eventually :)

if it's still not any better then it may point to something else, unless its only happened after you initially drained the fluid?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks. I defintely bled in the correct sequence then...all except the ABS unit. I didnt know to do that and havent yet lookled how to either.

I'm pretty sure it hasnt JUST happened as its the exact same problem that it had before the bleed.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
when of the best modifications i did was fit a cusco brake stopper, makes the pedal feel so much better. Next i have some do-luck brake lines to fit :)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'm considering new brake lines anyway but never heard of this brake stopper. What is it/what does it do/where does it fit?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
On the R32

It bolts to the suspension turret and has a screwed rod that pushes against the end of the master cylinder to stop it moving when the bulkhead panel flexes as you press the brake pedal.
It is a good mod especially along with braided hoses.

Charlie.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Here you go crab air!!

This is a cusco one fitted to an R32, should be very similar to R33. One of the best brake mods for the money by far.

P.S. If you think 33 brakes are bad try a 32! OMG!

·
Registered
372 Posts
the standard rubber flexi brake pipes could be expanding causing part of the problem. have the rear calipers been bleed aswell?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
All calipers were bleed at the same time however I have since purchased and received a set of Do-luck braided hoses so I am fitting them this weekend and rebleeding the system including the ABS this time.

Still cant make it out very clearly as to how the R33 ABS unit gets done. Can anyone be more specific which bolts/bleed nipples have to be removed to do it???
The 2 on top look like they simply hold the top section on and not for bleeding. A pic pointing to the items would be ideal if you can....PLEASE!!!!!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
you took my advise on the do luck lines lol!

let me know what the fitting was like and how they perform, mine are still sat in there box waiting fitting when i change discs and pads.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Havin the excact same problem bled all the brakes in the right order over and over still pedal feels shit just went through mot there tonight and the guy said brakes were crap how do you bleed the abs system?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have changed the brake lines now for the braided versions and that has helped dramatically. It appears the rubber of the old hoses had become soft and must have been expanding more than it used to under hard loads.

I never did bleed the ABS unt in the end. Just fitted the new brake hoses and rebled all the lines. On our 33's, there is no bleed nipples and I have learnt the only way to bleed the ABS is by crack the lines that go into it using them as your bleed nipples. Obviously you will need atleast 2 people for this as there no adaptor to fit and keep an air tight lock.

Personally I cant understand why Nissan didnt keep with the original idea from the 32 of having 2 bleed nipples on the unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts